Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How do you help the bucks on your land get bigger >

How do you help the bucks on your land get bigger

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you help the bucks on your land get bigger

Old 03-01-2002, 05:41 PM

Default How do you help the bucks on your land get bigger

I was wondering how I could make the bucks on my land bigger so if you have any info how to do this i would appreciate the help?
Old 03-01-2002, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How do you help the bucks on your land get bigger

Only shoot old mature bucks.Most bucks are killed well before they mature.Shoot does to keep the buck to doe ratio's in line.

Edited by - stubblejumper on 03/01/2002 22:47:13
Old 03-01-2002, 09:13 PM

I agree only shoot mature bucks, your size will increase and so will your numbers.
Old 03-01-2002, 09:20 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome to the board! The only small bucks we have here in Iowa...are young bucks. Give 'em some time to grow, everything else will take care of itself.

TB
Old 03-01-2002, 09:28 PM

Plant food plots, try to get them the most nutrious food that you can. This will help them grow larger, stronger, and probablly longer. Also, try to manage your doe population. Try to get close to a 3 doe to 1 buck ratio. It is hard to do, but it would be well worth it.

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet
"Hunting is not a sport, it is a passion, it is a WAY OF LIFE"
Old 03-02-2002, 04:58 AM

The best answer for this question is as basic as it can get---LET THE SMALL ONES GO!

Now, doing this will take some patience, and a little leg work. Because, depending where you are located and the amount of residents that surround your area, this will need more than just your efforts. It will help to have all neighbors adjoining your property to be involved. There are also ways to go about doing this, so, not to upset any neighbors who don't agree with this philosophy. Best thing to do is to try to convince all of the surrounding neighbors possible into agreeing to let the smaller bucks go, and to take only does and mature bucks. If you recieve any resistance to this, DO NOT ARGUE with them! The last thing anyone needs are angry neighbors around deer season. Just let it go, convince who you can, and after a few years when bigger bucks are seen by all, maybe some of the "not want to's" will fall into line. Also, remember that without good genetics in a deers backround, the deer may not turn out to be as big as a world record animal. It will grow a better sized deer as far as the rack and body mass is concerned, but there is no absolute rule for this also. I would suggest to try to get into contact with a Q.D.M. (Quality Deer Management)group, or by looking on the web for more information about ways to do this. I do know of a great video that explains this and all aspects involved, and I think it is called "Legends of the Monarch Valley". It goes nearly step by step on how to do Q.D.M. and also shows plenty of proof of how wrong the saying is "once a spike or small rack--always a spike or small rack". They show several deer, with time interval pictures, the growth potentials smaller bucks have when left alone to grow. All of this is done in the Monarch Valley up in either Minnesota, Michigan, or Wisconsin, I'm not exactly sure which one. Hopefully, several other hunters here have seen this video and can come up with the actual name if needed and where to get it.
Old 03-02-2002, 01:38 PM

read my signature

Let the little ones walk to be a monster buck.
Old 03-03-2002, 02:32 PM

You have to let them go and get some age on them. Idealy you should kiil bucks 4 1/2 years and older. However in most places this dosen't happen. I don't shoot any thing smaller than an 8 point. Don't get me wrong, I have shot smaller bucks, just not in the last several years.

God Bless & Good Hunting
LM/NAHC
Member NRA
Member P&Y CLUB
Member QDMA
Member Ducks Unlimited
Old 03-03-2002, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Practice QMD and have good food sources.
Old 03-03-2002, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

Shoot only old mature bucks and shoot a lot of DOES!

Quick Reply: How do you help the bucks on your land get bigger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.