Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Does anyone know someone like this? >

Does anyone know someone like this?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does anyone know someone like this?

Old 09-08-2004, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Does anyone know someone like this?

Another post on here got me thinking about this. Every year I spend about $200.00 all season on hunting. however I know people who spend thousands every year. They may not get anything come deer season but they sure do look good sitting out there. The following scenario is what I imagine everytime I see one of these guys.

new state of the art gps navigation unit - 250.00
New weatherby .270 vanguard that won't fit in gun cabinet - 600.00
New rocky 1500 gram thinsulate mossy oak breakup hunting boots - 200.00
New bushnell range finder - 150.00
State of the art self heating battery operated long underwear - 50.00
Mossy oak breakup boot blankets (they have to match the boots of course) aka moonboots- 50.00
New swarovski pocket binoculars (just so you can tell everyone you own a pair) - 539.00
New grunt call, big buck grunt call, doe bleat, can call, rattling antlers and rattling bag - 85.00
Doe in heat, doe estrous, dominant buck urine and cover scent - 40.00
Flambeau colapsable life size doe decoy (Hey, you need something to look at all day )-120.00
and of course a matching micro fleece, scent elimination parka and pants set in mossy oak breakup to match the boot blankets you just bought - 450.00

Total - 2534.00

And of course their first day out in the woods would go as follows.

They're usually too busy making sure everything they're wearing matched while they get lost cause they couldn't figure out their gps but luckily they stayed warm because they just charged the batteries in their underwear. Only to ruin them while crapping their pants as they see a 800 lb grizzly charging them through their binoculars (but it's a really clear picture). Luckily they bought a new rifle but too bad it jammed so they decided to run but couldn't get too far because of their matching moon boots. So they turn around nocking the bear unconcious with their weatherby shattering it to a million pieces just as their 5 bottles of deer scent draw a 180 class 12 point directly into their shooting lane, but at least they'll be able to tell you he was 147.3 yards away when they get back to camp.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:46 PM

Default RE: Does anyone know someone like this?

HAHAHAHA LMAO!
Old 09-08-2004, 12:47 PM

You missed one thing.

After the list with all the prices, it should say something like;

"Crapping your pants when seeing a grizzly bear.....PRICELESS"
Old 09-08-2004, 12:50 PM

I didn't know you knew my brother!
Old 09-08-2004, 02:54 PM

Old 09-09-2004, 03:04 PM

Know what you mean - have you seen the Jeff Foxworthy thing (its around the internet - look for "sacrifices.mpg") explaining to his wife how valuable the meat is that he provides for his family. The punch line is "The most expensive meat on earth for you and the kids" LMAO, for sure.

On the other hand, the world's full of guys who spend a lot of money on hobbies, just because they like to do it (the hobby AND spending the money!). Take motorcycles, snowmobiles, classic cars, let alone sports like golf and skiing. And big screen home theaters? I'd much rather see a guy spend $2000 on hunting gear even if it's like you say, overkill - than some lame, passive thing like that - and we never bat an eye when people we know do that.

Myself? I go the cheap route. I have one hunting rifle and two shotguns that I actually use and a .22. All the guns are pretty basic models - good quality, but basic Winchester 70, Remington 870 kind of things. (I have another couple of fancier shotguns I inherited, but don't use). I "salvation army" most of my hunting clothes and use a lot of US army woodland camo - in high tech fibers like goretex, polypro and pile, if I can find it, but army surplus none the less (I have very little faith in the benefit of boutique camo patterns). On the other hand, I do invest a little in clothing and/or gear every year and am gradually getting a better quality set of hunting clothes and buy that stuff in boutique camo just because the good stuff is made in those patterns. Just pick away at it from year to year, adding something that will make my life easier or more effective in the field. If you added up my stock pile, it would be big bucks, but spent over the past 20 years or so.

But still, I try to provide my family with the best, most expensive meat on earth!! But do I get any gratitude??

What's a guy without an expensive hobby!!?
Old 09-09-2004, 03:11 PM

zekeskar has a very good point. i know if i added up the money i spent on golf in a year i could have lots of little gagets. heck i went out every monday for $35 every wendsday for $25 and every thursday for $25. $85 a week and that dosn't include when i would go on weekends. i am now on the golf team at my school and golf 7 days a week free.

i went to ocean city maryland and spent $700 for 3 rounds of golf. not to mention the money to get down and stay in a hotel.

however i love the sport and i am pretty good at it. the money i am thowing away every week was crazy... maybe 5-7 years from now i will be riding the pro or amitor tour getting paid some big bucks to play......that would certainly be nice
Old 09-09-2004, 06:45 PM

I always spend money every year. I buy handload the newest bullet, shoot the new arrows, and try the new clothes. But by the time the season comes, I have settled on what to take and what to leave at home.
For instance, this year my friend and I tried the new Ultranocks on our arrows. They are supposed to make your arrow spin and fly like a bullet. They do just that at 10fps less then conventional fletching and they are louder. We conclude "junk". On the other hand, we both put shrewd lasers on our bows and love them. They are legal in our state and provide the best low light sight one could ever have. They project a red laser dot visible at 300yds. If anything they are a lot of fun.

I do know people like you describe and feel that they are just inexperienced. You need to find a happy medium with hunting gear. There is always better stuff out there, you just need to check it out and if you add one thing, you need to cull another. Just my .02.

ORIGINAL: bearklr

Another post on here got me thinking about this. Every year I spend about $200.00 all season on hunting. however I know people who spend thousands every year. They may not get anything come deer season but they sure do look good sitting out there. The following scenario is what I imagine everytime I see one of these guys.

new state of the art gps navigation unit - 250.00
New weatherby .270 vanguard that won't fit in gun cabinet - 600.00
New rocky 1500 gram thinsulate mossy oak breakup hunting boots - 200.00
New bushnell range finder - 150.00
State of the art self heating battery operated long underwear - 50.00
Mossy oak breakup boot blankets (they have to match the boots of course) aka moonboots- 50.00
New swarovski pocket binoculars (just so you can tell everyone you own a pair) - 539.00
New grunt call, big buck grunt call, doe bleat, can call, rattling antlers and rattling bag - 85.00
Doe in heat, doe estrous, dominant buck urine and cover scent - 40.00
Flambeau colapsable life size doe decoy (Hey, you need something to look at all day )-120.00
and of course a matching micro fleece, scent elimination parka and pants set in mossy oak breakup to match the boot blankets you just bought - 450.00

Total - 2534.00

And of course their first day out in the woods would go as follows.

They're usually too busy making sure everything they're wearing matched while they get lost cause they couldn't figure out their gps but luckily they stayed warm because they just charged the batteries in their underwear. Only to ruin them while crapping their pants as they see a 800 lb grizzly charging them through their binoculars (but it's a really clear picture). Luckily they bought a new rifle but too bad it jammed so they decided to run but couldn't get too far because of their matching moon boots. So they turn around nocking the bear unconcious with their weatherby shattering it to a million pieces just as their 5 bottles of deer scent draw a 180 class 12 point directly into their shooting lane, but at least they'll be able to tell you he was 147.3 yards away when they get back to camp.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

yea i know a guy like that he hunted for about seven or eight years never got a shot but bought all the bells and whistles . he stopped hunting