Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where is your perfect spot?

Old 09-09-2004, 06:31 AM

Default RE: Where is your perfect spot?

my perfect spot is in MY treestand
Old 09-09-2004, 07:07 AM

My perfect spot is 1 mile south of my farm. Its 220 acres of farmland with a river running through the property. The land borders a provincial park so there are plenty of critters coming out of the park to feed in the fields. My favorite spot on that field is my permanent stand on the field edge or else an old caved in barn half way down the field.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:42 AM

I've just put in a 1/3 acre food plot along with a corn feeder in a log staging area at the apex of a logging road that makes a horse-shoe through the area. I wouldn't quite call the area a clear-cut, but it was "opened up" big time this past spring. This has allowed a lot of new growth and all the tree tops on the ground provide ample bedding cover. Have seen a lot of deer (mostly does) in the area and the logging road is covered with deer tracks.

Picked out a tree for my climber about 80 yds or so down wind of the food plot. I can see about 150 Yds in almost all directions, and about 200 Yds down the logging road.

I think it has a lot of potential, but only time will tell if it's a "perfect spot" or not.

firstshot
Old 09-09-2004, 09:38 AM

any place, any time, anywhere
Amen brothers!
Old 09-09-2004, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

i usually hunt roads and fields where I can reach out and touch something but it has to be a nice shady spot where I can sleep comfortably! and I love oak trees when I can find them! Ive already got a spoted picked out on a gated road with lots of nice oak trees!
Old 09-09-2004, 10:38 AM
etw

Right behind the front shoulder, broadside
Old 09-10-2004, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen hunters setup on ridges where they can see for hundreds of yards...that may look nice to the hunter, but the deer where I hunt in New England know better. I focus either in the thick cedar swamps, tote roads or thick edges. Deer love to travel the edge of a nasty swamp before it opens into broken hard woods...I can see it now!