Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

There ARE big bucks in PA...

Old 09-07-2004, 07:26 PM

Default There ARE big bucks in PA...

Too bad this fellow is missing most of his rack! Check out the brow tine on the right!
You can also see that he has shed his velvet.
All I can say is that this buck is somewhere in Armstrong County - unfortunately not near where I live.... A friend sent me this photo.....

Old 09-07-2004, 08:59 PM

Default RE: There ARE big bucks in PA...

That looks like a very nice buck, but what happened to the rack!?
Old 09-08-2004, 04:33 AM
Dominant Buck

There ARE big bucks in every state ,
you just have to do the legwork to find them .
Old 09-08-2004, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree big bucks are roaming in all states. I had a farm I leased here in New Jersey for a few years, and lost it due to the farmer selling it. Few years before I leased it, a buck with above averge 8 point rack was shot in late December, it dressed out at 252lbs. thats a 300lb deer, and maybe even bigger, cause it most of lost some weight during the Rut.

The next year which was either 1995 or 1996 Febuary when we got that huge snowfall of 3 plus feet. It was the morning few hours before the storm hit, I went up there to get my treestands out while walking back to my truck, I found the right side of a rack, it had 8 points and was thick, couldn't get my index finger and my thumb to touch around the base, then I found the left matching side, also 8 points with a drop tine, the rightside weighed 4lbs, the leftside 4.5lbs.

Later that year, I was hunting on top of this mountain on opening day of archery, at 8 am I see deer coming right to me, 1st one was a 8 pointer 120 class, after that another 8 pointer little bigger, 3rd was a 9 pointer thicker, and wider, 4th was a big 10, and the 5th was i assume it was that deer cause all I saw was a droptine, thick rack, and when he walked you could see how muscular he was, never got a shot at him.

Later that year the care taker for the farm next to ours shot a buck that was a state record for muzzleloader, he showed me the pictures it wasn't the buck I saw, then he mentioned that he saw a bigger buck a few times coming from our farm, and that buck was huge.

The rack was roughed green scored 192" non-typical, most likey its alittle smaller, but still a great buck for any state, but people still say that NJ deer dont get that big.

Also I love when I hear black bears dont get over 500lbs. Why isnt a few NJ bears harvested last year where well over 600lbs, and that PA had alot over the 600lbs.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

What a horse, too bad the rest of his rack isnt there
Old 09-08-2004, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope he makes it for someone to see him next year with a full rack. Awsome picture!!!!
Old 09-08-2004, 11:42 AM

Whether he makes it to next year or not. That buck has some great character to it!!
Old 09-08-2004, 04:46 PM

i hunt in pa and i have seen some very very large bucks walking around this year and also some nice bears......i hope i will have a good season

nice picture that buck will make one hunter very happy