Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How have you gotten injured?

Old 09-06-2004, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default How have you gotten injured?

I am putting together some new material for hunter safety education classes. Right now I am trying to compile a list of scenerios where a person could be injured while afield and require 1st aid. Another list is for scenerios where someone would have to rely on his/her survival skills while afield.

I prefer actual incidents, yet all of your input will be appreciated and may well be used to educate our young sportsman.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 09-06-2004, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How have you gotten injured?

My dad was archery hunting once , and when he drew his bow to shoot at a deer , his shoulder popped out of the socket , and he had to put it back in himself....

I dunno if that counts or not , but tahts te only thing we have ever experienced!
Old 09-06-2004, 10:35 AM

Crossing a barbed wire fence might be a good scenerio.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

I was crossing a creek while deer hunting stepped on a rock in the creek it turned on me and I broke my foot while trying to get my balance before I fell into the water. Be safe while crossing streams!
Old 09-06-2004, 12:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've been stiched up twice due to hunting related accidents. Once due to taking a shot at a very bad angle, I was not able to "square" my gun up with my body, and got five stiches due to "scope eye!"
Second, may not be a common hunting problem but, after bow hunting one morning, I saw a rotted tree trunk in the middle of my shooting lane. I figured if I knocked it down I'd have a clearer, much longer shooting lane for the upcomming gun season. It was only about 8 inches in diameter, but it was 15 or so, feet tall. I found out the hard way that when you try to push over a rotten tree like this, it whip-lashes at the top, breaking off a top piece that will fall on your head!
Old 09-06-2004, 10:25 PM

i was walking thru the woods during gun season and although everyone i was hunting with knew that i like to walk and stalk hunt on my own they got kind of worried when i had been gone for over 5 hours, while i was walking i stepped into a chuck hole and had pretty much shattered my ankle, well after taking into account that i was over 2 miles away from any road or houseing i decided to splint my ankle as best i could, i also got hold of a fairly good sized sappling and made a crude crutch, i was only able to go 40 to 50 yrds at a time as pain was unbareable but i finally did get to within shouting distance of the others i was hunting with, well needless to say after that instance we all decided to invest in 2 way radios,,
Old 09-06-2004, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I worked with a lady who was telling me about her husband who was trying to put a stalk on a deer with an arrow in his bow and fell over a downed tree. As he fell the bow dropped from his hand and the arrow stayed nocked but came off the rest and the broadhead struck him in the face as he was going down. It cut him from the cheek bone to the ear required several stitches. One can only imagine what the outcome would have been if it had hit him in the eye socket!!!
Old 09-07-2004, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

While hunting the woods of Virginia I was heading back to my truck and stepped over a log only to find myself being thrown forward. I stepeped into a whole on the other side. I tore the ligaments in my knee the tree stand I was carrying slid forward as I hit the ground and cut open the back of my head and I still had about 1/2 mile to go to get out to my truck. I managed to tie a shirt around my head and stop the bleeding as best I could but had to crawl out of the woods to my truck. Talk about something that I never want to do again. It took me 4 hours to get out the rest of the way. There was a clear cut in the direction I was going so I had to go around it.

Motto: Watch where you step.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:15 AM
Dominant Buck

I broke a nail once ...

Let's see , twisted ankles , bruises , a nice shiner once from an 'invisible" tree branch . Yep , been injured a few times .
Old 09-07-2004, 07:01 AM

This isn't exactly an injury, but could have had some serious complications.

I found a shady place to wait for some doves to fly by, and it wasn't until a few minutes later that I discovered I was standing on a fire ant mound. I learned this as they swarmed all over my legs, biting as they went. I'm not allergic to fire ant bites, but I did have a lot of very painful bites/welts (some of which left permanent scars).

Moral of the story: Look down, not just up, when bird hunting.

I'm about the only person I know who can get hurt standing still.

Quick Reply: How have you gotten injured?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.