Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
If you could hunt at night..... >

If you could hunt at night.....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

If you could hunt at night.....

Old 02-28-2002, 11:40 AM

Default RE: If you could hunt at night.....

If you could use night vision goggles, think of all the other critters you would see that only come out at night. It would keep you busy while waiting for that buck.
Old 02-28-2002, 11:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

A lot of these replies surprise me, I have often walked in the woods late at night, as long as the moon is out vision is not an issue at all, I agree that it would be more dangerous due to not being able to see great distances, but I could do it safely with a good backstop. Sometime when the moon is full walk into the woods late at night and sit down for an hour, what you see will amaze you, it is a whole different world. I would hunt at night if it was legal, but like others have said it would be private property. I do not think they should make it legal though. Actually you would be amazed at how well you can see without the moon.

The Tazman
Old 02-28-2002, 01:03 PM

I personaly would not approve night hunting for deer. I could go out on any given night with a spot light and kill as many deer as I wanted with them standing around like setting ducks. I dont fill this is hunting. I do hunt hogs at night. This doesnt bother me because even though its night, a hog will not stand around in a spot light like a deer will. Also hogs are a vermin here in Texas.

I also disaprove of night hunting for deer because I have had a potching problem on some of my land, where some guys have been cutting my fences and spot-lighting on my land killing many deer a night. I have set up waiting for them as well as the G.W. with no luck.

I just read the no lights part of your post. I still would not do it because of the same reason. I can set at one of my fields on a moon lite night and see many deer feeding under, what they fill is the cover of night. I also fill if people started hunting at night the public lands would become death traps, giving the antis more fuel for there fire.

Edited by - kentlyone on 02/28/2002 14:07:26
Old 02-28-2002, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would love it if they legalized coyote hunting at night, but not deer. They all may be moving at night, but they are dumb at night, I walked up to one with a spotlight while coon hunting once, it didn't run until I was about to touch it!!!! Not really gamely in my opinion.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

On private land when you are alone, it would be really cool to get out there in the dark, although I must admit it would take some getting-used-to. However a poacher or other idiot not being careful could get many people killed.
Cool thought though.

Keep 'em all in the Bull.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:19 PM

I'd hunt at night if it was legal. I understand night time is when they hunt in Europe.

SOTHRDNK
Old 03-01-2002, 05:33 AM
Spike

This really depends on what you are hunting for.Coyotes yes,this is legal in NY.If for deer No,they need some time to be out to eat and breed without the pressure of us hunters.This would also make it too easy for the poachers.Most poachers don't like to take the time to sit in a stand or walk in the woods to hunt,the truck is to much easier.Yes you can see at night without a light,i like to just watch what they do at night,where they go ,what deer are in the area you don't see during the day.Then hope they are around the next time out hunting.
Old 03-01-2002, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

a full moon or 3/4 and up, i should say, offer a large amount of light. what im conserned about is 2 things. 1 the limited season the moon would provide and 2, the idiots that are out there other then me.
Old 03-01-2002, 06:35 PM

i hate to say it but i would the temptation would be to great for me i guess im weak but everybody else would be doing it (they already do here) and i guess i would want one last buck before they went extinct after everybody shot em all that season
Old 03-01-2002, 07:22 PM

First i agree with the others on the safety issue. Another reason i would not, is the whitetail deer here in MI. are hunted over 3 months now with all the seasons, and i think that is to much now, that is only my stand on this issue

Quick Reply: If you could hunt at night.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.