Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My deer rifle remembered!

Old 08-29-2004, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default My deer rifle remembered!

This probably should be posted somewhere else, but it has to do with deer hunting and just thought I'd share it with you, guess I'm being sentimental.

On another forum a member posted a story of opening his mouth when he shouldn't and having to eat his words and it got me to thinking about what happened to me. So here goes my story.

My son is 35 now, I started him deer hunting when he was around 7 or 8 (hunting with me). I was in the military with a wife and two kids and I'll assure you money was tight. By the time he was 10 yrs old, I had gone to Sears, Roebuck, & Co. and bought him a 7 mm mauser ( you could buy them from Sears for about $15.00 back then, just had to pick the best out of a barrel full). I already had a 8 mm mauser and I semi sporterized both of them. A year later I saw a new Remington 760 pump, 30-06 in a local gun shop. I thought that was the best looking rifle I had ever seen. Needless to say, I scraped and saved every dime I could to buy that rifle. When I got it, my son probably thought the same, because that's all he talked about.

That deer season, my brother, my son, and I were at our deer camp. One afternoon my son killed a nice 6 point (eastern count) buck. He had his chest poked out and I believe his got as big as a basketball. He was really picking at me and his uncle. He had killed a doe and a spike the year prior to this but he was really proud of that little deer (me too). Well he made the statement that he was going to show us how to do it again and was going to kill an 8 pointer the next morning. I tried to explain that he shouldn't get his hopes up to high. Well he said, "If I kill an 8 pointer will you give me the pump rifle", and dummy here said sure, "If you get an 8 pointer in the morning, the rifle is yours".

The next morning I droped him off at his stand. I didn't sit down good in my stand when he fired his rifle. Any parent that has a child hunting will understand, when that rifle went off I couldn't stand it, had to get down and go to him (I know this was young for him, but he grew up shooting guns from the time he was four and I trusted him). When I got to within sight of where I droped him off, he came up into the road dragging a nice 8 pointer. I believe he said something like, "Can I hold my rifle now".

I couldn't back up, I handed the rifle to him. I must add, might head got bigger than his. I had to hunt the rest of the season with my old mauser. He told me he would keep that rifle the rest of his life. As I said earlier, he's 35 now and still uses that old rifle, he's got two boys and says he's going to pass it on to them.

Yes, I opened my mouth one time to many, but that's one time I've never regreted.

Just some thoughts from a hunter and most of all, a father.

dog1
Old 08-29-2004, 05:07 PM

Default RE: My deer rifle remembered!

I believe he said something like, "Can I hold my rifle now".
lol!!!! i got a big smile when i read that.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:33 PM

Great story!!!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2004, 08:49 PM

i love it
Old 08-29-2004, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good story. My dad has an old shot gun from sears I wish they still sold that stuff, I work there so id get a good discount
Old 08-29-2004, 11:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a great story. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:12 AM

Very touching story.

If you're going to have to give up a rifle, that's the way to do it.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:08 AM

Thanks for sharing! Any of us who grew up learning to hunt from Dad and now passing on to our kids, can't help but really enjoy your story. My wife keeps telling me I should write down my old hunting stories so my grandkids can enjoy them too. I think you should do the same.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

great story, i just got my fathers ol 410 from my older brother, my dad died when i was 8yrs old and my son just turned 8 yesterday and he was the first one to shoot it since my father
Old 08-30-2004, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the great story! I still have the first gun my father gave me, and will always keep it. I have a 3 month old son now, and I sure wish my father was here to help show him the sportsmanship he taught me. That's the great thing about hunting...it's not all about the harvest!

Quick Reply: My deer rifle remembered!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.