Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bringing rifles into Canada

Old 08-25-2004, 09:08 PM

Default Bringing rifles into Canada

Me and a hunting buddie are going caribou hunting in Canada this year and was wondering about the non-resident firearm declaration form you have to fill out. Do you fill it out and then show it upon entry? or do you have to send it in before hand? Also my friends rifle is not registered in our state or any other state for that matter (it was given to him from an uncle who recently passed away) it is a Mauser and is about 25 yrs old. Will this be a problem?
Old 08-26-2004, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bringing rifles into Canada

hello hedhuntr:
You can contact Clint Beardy who is an outfitter in Manitoba, and he could answer some of your questions for ya, ill be going this year on a waterfowl hunt, need some people to go with if your interested, or u can email him @ [email protected] will help you out, he is a great guy!
Old 08-26-2004, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

Hedhntr:

I've traveled into Canada many times. Here's how it works.

Stop at US customs BEFORE leaving the US. You must declare your firearm(s) at US customs before leaving. You fill out the form, and they give you a copy. (No Cost).

Fill out the Canadian form in advance if possible, you can get it off the web. Take the form to Canadian customs when your arrive/cross the boarder (DO NOT sign the form until you are told to do so by the Canadian Customs Agent). They will charge you 50 Canadian.

DON'T take any hand guns!

P.S. They will put your name in the computer. If you've been busted for anything more than a traffic ticket, you might be ejected from Canada. They consider some US misdemeanors to be felonies.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you have a DUI on your record then you may have to apply for a passport. My Nephew did. Maybe the laws have changed since then. (About four years ago). Things have changed gun wise. The last time I took a rifle into Canada I only had to stop at Canadian customs. They didn't even look at the rifle. They just asked if it was semi auto. I said no and they waved us on. The good old days before honest people became the enemy of the Canadian Government.[:@] Never Vote Liberal.[:@][:@]