Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 03-01-2002, 10:29 AM

Default RE: Should deer hunting be only with shotguns?

Here in the southern zone of new york, shotgun only is definetely the only way to go. I wouldn't want a bunch of trigger happy maniacs(cause thats what they are)carrying around something capable of carrying 500yds. Especially when i have 5 guys within 300yds of me that dont know or dont care that i'm there.
But in areas where hunting populations are a little less dense, more power to the use of rifles. I wish i had the same privalige close to home.
Old 03-01-2002, 10:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you want to have some fun post this up in the bowhunting forum!!!!

The Tazman
Old 03-01-2002, 11:27 AM

NO!!!! because a bow takes more time and it also gives u more pride then killing one with a shotgun because a bow takes more time and patience
Old 03-01-2002, 11:33 AM

Its shotgun slugs only here in Ohio.
I don’t really see it as a problem. The terrain, and foliage in the areas that I hunt rarely offers a shot of over 100 yards, and a 50 yard shot is about the norm.
Even a smooth bore slug gun offers sufficient accuracy at that range.
And let’s face it when you talk about knock down power. I don’t think you can beat a well placed slug. I took two deer this year that dropped on the spot.
If it where up to me though, I would require a rear sight. I’ve seen some well meaning guys out there who can’t hit the broad side of a barn, even with a rifled choke. And that is because they are trying to use that shot bead.

Hmm.. But…
There are some bean fields that I would hunt if I could use a rifle, and had the ability to really reach out and touch someone.
Old 03-01-2002, 11:45 AM
Typical Buck

No, Pontiacs or shotguns and Pontiacs.....350cc or better.
Old 03-01-2002, 12:50 PM

quote:
Pontiacs.....350cc or better.

350 CCs? Oh, man...that would make my dirt bike legal. Ya-Hoo!

Anyone know of a good strap-on deer lance for my dirt bike? A long spear might work. Hmm...
Old 03-01-2002, 02:26 PM

I have seen this question many times and I think people forget that not all places are swarming with deer and hunters. I do not know anyone who hunts deers here in the desert with a shotgun. Hunting with a rifle is quite a challenge by itself.
Old 03-01-2002, 04:30 PM

I would probably be in the minority here by saying, in this state, I would not care if they made it totally slug gun only. I don't know if anyone has clarified this or not, but, I DO NOT want buckshot allowed as it was in years past. Slug gun and muzzle loader would be fine though. Around here, there are very few shots outside of 300 yards with even fewer hunters able to shoot accurately out even farther. This would enable more of the hunters skills to be engaged to tag an animal. I know way too many hunters in this state (Missouri) that as soon as they see the shine of an antler, whether it be 100, 200, 300, ect. yards out, just start laying out the lead like there is no tomorrow! Infact, I would greatly be in favor for slug and muzzle loader hunting only for this state.
Old 03-01-2002, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hek NO - But in certain areas its the only weapon that can/should be used for reasons I need not go into.If you were weened on center fire,a shotgun is a panty waste for deer hunting,IMO.
Old 03-01-2002, 09:19 PM

No the bow guys wouldn't like that.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.