Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Camp Rules

Old 08-19-2004, 09:21 PM

Default Deer Camp Rules

Starting a deer camp in 2005 but want to get some basic rules down before anyone joins. Need some ideas from you kind folks. I believe its better to get everything in the open before something happens.

What are some of your hunt/deer camp rules or regulations?
Old 08-19-2004, 09:55 PM

Default RE: Deer Camp Rules

Ill give you one that I am a fan of.No loaded weapons in camp.Make them unload all guns before entering camp.I just about bought the farm a couple years ago when 5 or 6 of us all returned to the cabin at the same time just after dark.I had my hand on the screen door when,BOOM I thought someone had hit me in the head with a ball bat.

Down I went,hand to face,discovered blood thought it was all over.

One of the guys had an older remington 700 30.06 bolt action and it was one that was recalled years ago because of the fact that it could fire while taken safety off to unload.Yes I know thats stupid but thats how they were made.You could not open bolt without taken off safety.Anyway when he flipped the saftey the gun went off and bullet hit the bricks that are in front of cabin door and the brick fragments are what hit me in the face.Had about 10 holes through plexiglass on main cabin door from probably brick and bullet fragments.

After all the excitement was over,this fella was pretty upset and left for awhile.He comes back later and tells us that the same thing had happened several years before while unloading his gun before climbing out of his stand.Cant believe he hunted with it again after that but he was unaware of the recall.

I know long story but morale is No loaded guns in camp....
Old 08-19-2004, 10:05 PM

Myself & 3 other guys recently bought a camp. It has 80 acres and a well maintained 1100sq/ft cabin. We split the costs 4 ways. We went ahead and got in touch w/ a lawyer & had him incorporate us. We created our own L.L.C. (limited liability corporation) to make everything legal between all of the investors. Here are a couple of notes we have in our by-laws:

If someone wants to sell or get out of the deal, their share must be offered to the remaining stockholders first at fair market value. If the stockholders cannot buy out the person, or find another stockholder, the property will be sold.

Any capitol improvements to the property or to the cabin greater than ($ amount-fill in) must be approved by all parties before proceeding.
If agreed upon, all capitol improvements costs will be split 4 ways evenly.

In case of death to one of the stockholders, their share must be offered to the remaining stockholders first at fair market value. If the stockholders cannot buy out the person, or find another stockholder, the property will be sold.

During November rifle season, and muzzleloader season, names will be drawn for the available blinds on the property.

During November rifle season, bow season & muzzleloader season, the stockholders have first choice of dates & times to reserve the cabin.

During November rifle season, bow season & muzzleloader season, the stockholders shall be allowed to bring two guests. Stockholders get first choice over guest for blinds.

No logging or modifications to the woods, (i.e. cutting out large clearings or shooting lanes) or trees can be done on property without all parties approval.

We shall appoint a treasurer to the duties of paying taxes, & managing the “slush” fund.

One thing that makes our situation nice, is that we all have been friends (& family) for a long time, we get along great and have never had quarrels or arguements that could jepardize the camp. Make sure you guys have fun. Camp is the best time for me. Don't set too many rules/bylaws - this may discourage people. The key is communication with your buddies/family. Your right, keep things out in the open as much as possible. Things (major things) get done by a consensus vote. We keep a log book & document all of our expenditures/upgrades etc. Who spent what on what, to make sure no one does'nt get short changed.
One of the most important things I failed to mention is: make sure they bring enough money w/ them for poker after a long day in the woods.
Good Luck with your new camp,
Yoopper Hunter
Old 08-19-2004, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you pick your hunters right, you will need very few rules. guns outside is one of our rules, leave the camp clean is another. there are no restrictions on smoking, drinking, playing poker or when the lights go out. you will find that everyone will fall into a task once the camp gets going, some will do dishes,. some like to cook, etc. work details during the off season will probably be required in order to keep trails clear, gather firewood for the coming season and repair of the camp. not sure what kind of camp you have in mind, but the one i belong to requires a fee of 80 bucks each year, this entitles you to all the food and drink you can manage. Just don't overrule yourself.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

1) Safety is your main concern
2) Respect others stuff, land and locations
3) Workload and expenses are shared for the duration of the hunt
4) No guests unless approved by the group or camp owner
5) Ethics must be similar (lawful guys, enjoy time in the woods)
6) Get along
Old 08-20-2004, 06:23 AM

My experience over the years is, it takes allot of hard work to 'fit in' to a camp. Camp seems to bring out the best and worst of some hunters. I'm sure you will go through your share of slob hunters. Everybody wants to 'go to camp', but when it comes down to pulling their weight, many fall short. It takes allot of hard work to keep a 'good' camp and good hunters know how to pitch in and make it work. The old camps when I was young are all but gone, but the memories will last a lifetime. Now-a-days, seems all guys want to do is shoot something and get back home. The experience of teaching young hunters how to enjoy the camp and how to hunt, have fallen to the wayside. Cutting shirttails off for missing a buck and such traditions, make camp a great place to return to. Good luck and good hunting.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been hunting with friends and sons for many, many years. We all get along so well and share in the excitement and anticipation of deer season but there are just a few rules...As mentioned safety is the highest priority. We hunt weekends during bow season but once M/L and rifle season begins we spend 1 1/2 weeks at camp. The agreed money (room and board etc) is collected up front. Everyone brings one dish to feed 5-6 guys, so our dinners are covered. We also split groceries down the middle but it's the responsibility of each person to buy what they personally want, beer, wine, etc. Each person takes responsibility to keep the place clean, make sure there's enough firewood etc. While in the woods, we always try to know where and how (treestand, still hunting etc) each person is hunting. That way, if someone tags, we usually know exactly who it is, where he is, so we can all meet and help with the deer. Common sense is the thing here with no suprises. No one has ever gotten out of hand, but if they did...there would one comment...."There's a front door and a back door....pick one"! We're there to have fun and boy do we ever.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

Whoever uses the last of the toilet paper needs to replace it with a new roll .

Seriously, safety is always the number one priority at our camp. Common sense goes along way.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:18 AM

[8D] maybe on my next farm ill have a hunting camp for me and my friends i have never been to a hunting camp but i would to someday with my son or daughter
Old 08-20-2004, 08:47 AM

Our number one rule is YOU MUST SIGN IN AND TAG YOUR STAND that you will be hunting. First offense, warning, a second offense and suspension of hunting rights for a length to be determined.

Most of our other rules are basic, no. of guest allowed, work days, each member must supply two permanent stands, and so on.

One thing you will find out is that fines don't usually work. Suspensions of hunting priviledges seem to work the best.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Deer Camp Rules

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.