Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

APPROACHING DEAD DEER?

Old 08-18-2004, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default APPROACHING DEAD DEER?

I always see hunters on hunting video's approach a dead deer and always poke them in the butt or in the eye to see if they are still alive. Has anyone came upon a deer that was still alive, and if so what did the deer do and more importantly what did u do?
Old 08-18-2004, 03:38 PM

Default RE: APPROACHING DEAD DEER?

yeh a deer playing possum will definetly give you a scare but you gotta take your time. If you allow your game to sit long enough and not rush in there (which it sometimes appears to be happening on these hunting tapes)......your game 99% of the time will have bled out and no need to worry about it getting up. But always touch em with a stick...I prefer to touch the eyeball. If it shall jump up at you trust me instincts and reactions will take over.....Also these guys on these tapes are letting their game lay at least 30min. it just looks like they are rushing in there.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:21 PM

I shot a 3 pointer in 2000 at the base of the neck with a 30.06 using a 150gr. Hornady BTSP handload. The shot was a little over 150 yds as the deer was walking across a clearcut. The deer went down at the shot, I unloaded my rifle and climbed down and proceeded to walk to the deer. I was about 10 yards away from it when the deer jumped up and tried to run! The deer's front legs were not working so all it could do was push itself along with its hind legs. I bolt another round in my rifle as it was still unloaded at a the time and shot it in the neck again. During skinning it, I found the first bullet at the base of the neck, jacket and lead seperate with no penatration of the muscle. All I can guess is that it was a bad bullet or it hit something going across the clearcut. I have never seen a bullet do that since, and the rest of the bullets in that box performed without a hitch. I still don't walk up and poke one, but I damn sure to load my rifle when I get out of the stand now.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

There was a story a few years ago about a hunter around our area had shot a buck. He thought his deer was dead and when he got close, the deer got up and attacked him. He had left his rifle behind and ended up fitting for his life. He was able to kill the deer with his knife. I never take chances after I heard that story..
Old 08-18-2004, 05:53 PM

this reminds me of prob. the funnest thing i have ever seen. my grandpa shot a doe at around 8am opening day. at 10am we walked over and asked him if he got anything.

'i am pretty sure i hit him but i didn't see him go down" so we walk over to where the deer was at when he shot and blood was everywhere. 50 yards late laid his doe. he walks up to it and sits on it's back and lights his pipe. well it just so happens that deer wasn't dead and it go up and started running with my grandpa on top. after 15 or so yards paps falls off and lays in the snow. when we walk up and ask if he's alright the first thing he says is "hell no, when i hit the snow it put my smoke out and got it all wet and the darn thing looks broke" [&:] it still makes me giggle when i think about it. oh yes for everyone wondering we found the doe later on in the day

now i always poke them in the head with the barrel of my rifle just in case
Old 08-18-2004, 06:05 PM

I had a friend who was a game warden, well experienced with deer and their proper handling. He made one mistake and it cost him dearly. He had a report of a poacher's work and went to the site. He saw what appeared to be a dead doe lying in a field. He approached it and grabbed it by a leg, to drag it to his car. The doe wasn't quite as dead as he thought and she kicked his hand with her hoof, laying open his palm. After this episode, he could no longer hold a pistol, and thus ended his career.
Always look at the eyes. If their open and glazed, they're usually dead. If they're closed, beware!
Old 08-18-2004, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

im glad you asked that Ive always wondered to and I always hope the deer jumps up when the hunter pokes them on tv Id just like to see the look on bill jordans(or who ever) face when he pokes the deer and it jumps up I had a friend one day who shot a doe and he drove down a little while later to toss it in the truck and when he got there it jumped up but couldent move its back legs so it was just dragging its self along I dont remember where his gun was but he diddent have it so he grabbed the closest thing to him which was a hammer and had to finish it off with that
Old 08-18-2004, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

A guy my Dad knew, a tree climber by trade and big and solid like Paul Bunyan, shot a doe. He confidently walked up and straddled the doe to gut it without checking for deadness. The doe jumped up so, by reflex or stupidity, or both, "Paul Bunyan" grabbed the thing in a bear hug and starts to wrestle it. The little doe beat the livin pi$$ out of the lumberjacka$$ and put him in the hospital with lacerations to his abdomen and broken ribs.
MORAL: CHECK FOR DEADNESS!
Old 08-18-2004, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

i was taught ot approach them from the rear...then poke the eye if it doesnt move when you are close...if the eye blinks when you poke it you better do something about it....never figured out what to do......depends on how alive it is i guess......but i always approach it from the rear and always keep my gun loaded.....if it gets up it should be fairly easy to put it down......unless its REALLY alive and takes off.......
Old 08-18-2004, 09:34 PM
Typical Buck

I must be too ethical because it is one shot, and down he goes down. Either by a little luck, or skill, or God's will, I have never had to hope the deer I shot is dead.

Quick Reply: APPROACHING DEAD DEER?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.