Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 08-18-2004, 11:12 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-18-2004, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Poaching Closes Land to Hunters - A True Story

TURN'EM IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AMEN to that!

Several years ago now, I witnessed a pickup truck full of guys in the back gun down a small fawn doe from the road. .338, 7MM Mag, and .300 WTBY Mag didn't leave much meat. When they saw me, they ran back to the truck. They did have orange on, but no bag tags. When I went to the house to contact the DNR, they recovered the animal and sped off.

They were caught, fined, and lost hunting privileges for a while. In hindsight, I should have returned fire, but that’s a different story.

Poachers do give hunters a bad rap. What we hunters need to do is make sure that every time a poaching story is in the paper, we write the editor and explain that poachers are NOT hunters, and that as hunters, we do NOT approve of poaching.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:33 PM

No offense but being a hog HUNTER myself and I use the term heavy. I am very sorry that this happened to your grandpa but no one should be allowed to run dogs on a 150 acres of land to start with. And you said yourself the pig looked very much like a wild pig so no one can blame the dogs. Furthermore if your grandpa knew they were gonna run dogs in there seems to me he shouldve put the pig up. Thats just my personal opinion. Now if your grandpa didnt know they were gonna run dogs in there please accept my apologies. I, myself would never turn my dogs aloose on 150 acres thats just crazy.....and the part about them using the dogs to run deer also, sounds like to me those boys need to train their hog dogs not to run deer. If one of my dogs were to run on a deer....thats it he will not hunt with me anymore. HAWG DOGS are HAWG DOGS deer dogs are deer dogs!!! And a hawg dog will bay domestic, pop belly, or wild pig which ever is in the area.....SORRY FOR THE POTBELLY PIG but I cant blame the dogs. If the dogs were allowed onto the property by your grandpa no one can blame the dogs or the hunters who were allowed to turn the dogs aloose.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:21 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bfnc2003

No offense but being a hog HUNTER myself and I use the term heavy. I am very sorry that this happened to your grandpa but no one should be allowed to run dogs on a 150 acres of land to start with. And you said yourself the pig looked very much like a wild pig so no one can blame the dogs. Furthermore if your grandpa knew they were gonna run dogs in there seems to me he shouldve put the pig up. Thats just my personal opinion. Now if your grandpa didnt know they were gonna run dogs in there please accept my apologies. I, myself would never turn my dogs aloose on 150 acres thats just crazy.....and the part about them using the dogs to run deer also, sounds like to me those boys need to train their hog dogs not to run deer. If one of my dogs were to run on a deer....thats it he will not hunt with me anymore. HAWG DOGS are HAWG DOGS deer dogs are deer dogs!!! And a hawg dog will bay domestic, pop belly, or wild pig which ever is in the area.....SORRY FOR THE POTBELLY PIG but I cant blame the dogs. If the dogs were allowed onto the property by your grandpa no one can blame the dogs or the hunters who were allowed to turn the dogs aloose.
Are you serious ?
Blame the gracious property owner ?

The laws in every state clearly spell out the responsibilities of pet owners , and yes , sporting dogs are accountable under the same laws . Notably the law that states that the dog's owner shall maintain control of their animal(s) at all times and compensate anyone whose property the dog causes damage to . Hunting or not , they were invited guests of the property owner and should have maintained control of their dogs . Since the pig was unquestionably killed by their dogs the property owner should have received the value of the pig , not a faceful of denial and attitude . Slobs like that can rest assured that they'll never receive an invitation from me . Respect for your host is paramount regardless of the circumstances , and these jerks were clearly in the wrong . If you consider yourself representative of the breed then your defense of their inexcusable behavior reflects poorly on hog hunters .
Old 08-18-2004, 05:43 PM

I turn in every stinking poacher i see i cant stand people who mes with what i consider a family tradition
Old 08-18-2004, 08:41 PM

First off Kevin1....I wasnt defending the guys whose dogs killed the potbelly pig....all Im saying is "IF" these guys were allowed on to the property to bay hogs with their dogs and the owner left his potbelly pig outside knowing these dogs were trained to find pigs....Second of all I would have never turned my dogs aloose knowing there was a pig that was a pet running loose. I dont appreciate the way you portrayed me out to be defending these guys either. Had you been able to comprehend what I wrote I stated that if grandpa didnt invite them to bring their dogs than I appoligize. You are absolutely right the hunters shouldve been held responsible for the damages done to the pig....no argument there. My original reply was how stupid can those hunters be and grandpa be if both of them knew those dogs were gonna be in there searching for hawgs.

Its kinda like saying yeh you can fish in my pond but if you catch that albino channel cat i bought for my daughter when she turned 5,,,,youre gonna be in big trouble.....COME ON GUY USE YOUR HEAD MAN........IT JUST DOESNT MAKE ANY SENSE TO ME!!!!

PS WE DONT NEED AN INVITE FROM YOU WE GOT PLENTY LAND ROUND HERE
SORRY MAN YOU BROUGHT IT ON YOURSELF.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Bfn2003 ,
it is always the responsibility of the hunter to know as much as he can about the property that he intends to hunt . Since potbellies aren't exactly common pets (I've had one) they should have known about it or at least asked whether pets or children would be present . Grandpa wasn't the stupid one , the slobs were . BTW , I know several pond owners who restrict what fish can be taken from their pond , it's called management . Sorry if that doesn't make sense to you , but NC isn't Ga , the rules are different there .

By defending the actions of the dogs you defended the actions of their owners by default , the owner is always at fault when the animal causes trouble by law . Sorry man , you brought that on yourself .
Old 08-19-2004, 09:09 AM

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Bfn2003 ,
it is always the responsibility of the hunter to know as much as he can about the property that he intends to hunt . Since potbellies aren't exactly common pets (I've had one) they should have known about it or at least asked whether pets or children would be present . Grandpa wasn't the stupid one , the slobs were . BTW , I know several pond owners who restrict what fish can be taken from their pond , it's called management . Sorry if that doesn't make sense to you , but NC isn't Ga , the rules are different there .

By defending the actions of the dogs you defended the actions of their owners by default , the owner is always at fault when the animal causes trouble by law . Sorry man , you brought that on yourself .
Old 08-19-2004, 09:12 AM

Iffred,

I agree 100% with you fathers decision. A few bad apples can truly ruin the opportunities for everyone. After a lot of though and support from the guys in the bow hunting forum, I have posted the 54 acres that my family has owned and allowed other to use for the past 20 years. Unrecovered animlas (a young 8 pointer last fall), trash being left, massive deer drives and a complete lack of respect of porperty and guest of the property have led to me posting it. It was a sort of sad day for me that it has come to this, also a sad day for one of the neighbor who I spoke with while posting it. He confirmed the activity I already knew exisisted on the property and gave me a tip on who I can expect problems from. It sounds like the biggest offenders are the next door neighbors who have had access for years.

I know everyone dosn't hunt as I do and I know that I can't change people but I feel I have to control what happens on my property. I choose to practice QDM and let little bucks walk. I choose to scout so I can hang tree stands and hunt deer, not drive them. I choose to take ethical shots and not shoot at deer as I would a quail with the run and gun theory. If some individuals continue to disrespect land owners and the land they get access to this will continue to become more and more common. It's sad, It sucks but I am 100% on the side of the land owners.

Adams
Old 08-19-2004, 09:16 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.