Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 how high up do you like to hunt? >

how high up do you like to hunt?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how high up do you like to hunt?

Old 08-13-2004, 11:16 AM

Default how high up do you like to hunt?

i hunt in a stand thats only 10 feet tall, but i have taken plenty deer out of it., how high do you like to get?
Old 08-13-2004, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: how high up do you like to hunt?

12-15 feet seems to work just fine for me. I know some guys that climb so high you need binoculars to see them.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:23 AM

I am up in the nosebleed seats.30-35 feet high is where I usally hunt.The view is great,come on up..
Old 08-13-2004, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

0-6.1' since I hunt from the ground!
Old 08-13-2004, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

as high as the tree allows generally 30+ but if i ever find a tree 100' tall you better believe ill be 100' up that tree
Old 08-13-2004, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like the base of my stand to be right around 15 feet. But depending on a few things that could change a few feet either way depending on land.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:10 PM

Rifle : Ground blind is what I have. Alot of live oak and you can see up under them. In the air and you are looking down at a green all around. It's awesome to hear them coming and be able to see them through the trees. Couldn't do that at my stand if it was elevated. You could see into a few clearings, I suppose, but you would need to be 15-20 ft +

Bow: I have an old 12' towerstand I made a new blind for last year. Its really a roof with four posts and a floor. Having to look through the trees does me no good with a bow. I can hear them coming up there and I have plenty of cleared space all around. I have my back to a huge oak tree, so I blend in good. At that range, they would have to look way up to see me, so if I can draw silently, I have a decent chance. I pulled on a little 3 point last season but that was just practice to see if he could hear me. I had a doe lined up last year late in the season and when I pulled, that 3 point was standing under me and heard my draw. One doe stopped about 40 yards off, but she was looking right at me when I released. Oh well. She got off with a warning.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:16 PM

Depends on the cover, the tree I am in and the terrain. I have one tree I hunt often and it's amongst a whole bunch of cedars. I'm up maybe 10 feet max, but I am totally concealed. I really can't go much higher in that tree and it's proven successful year after year. On avg, I get 2-3 deer per season out of that tree.

In other areas, I go up maybe 20 feet max.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

if im not hunting from the ground i usually hunt 18-20 foot high depends on which stand im in.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:31 PM

can't go much higher in a cedar. . . but I imagine they make real good cover. Our ranch is crawling with cedar, but the lease where we hunt much less so. I would think cedar would help knock down scent to as they are so fragrant??? I wonder. . . . I have heard of folks around here using cedar berries to make home made cover scent. . .

Quick Reply: how high up do you like to hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.