Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What's a trophy?

Old 08-14-2004, 10:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What's a trophy?

Why would you think that they arent any smarter then deer that live on heavily hunted public land? Your above question is pretty dumb, and it is clear that you dont have much experience in the topic that you are talking about
I won't go down to your level and call you dumb or throw insults. Your attitde is obvious from some of your posts.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:50 PM

Charlie P:

You started this thread, and asked several questions about something you had little knowledge of. You had no problem stating your opinion and you seemed to try and degrade people who hunted on private land and the animals that those people took.

Now I took the time to answer your questions and if I seemed alittle rude then to bad, you should find out what your talking about before you speak.

Your attitde is obvious from some of your posts.
Please elaborate, I would love to find out what kind of person I am according to you.............
Old 08-15-2004, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just to give you an idea how big the king ranch is, its bigger than the state of Rhode Island.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:58 AM

That is a very tough question to answer. It depends on who you ask. A young hunter who is just starting out, a trophy to them might be a fat doe. To the person who only gets to hunt a couple days of the year it might be any legal buck regardless of size. To the old timer it might be the deer he just killed because it might be the last one he'll ever harvest. In my eyes, at the point I'm at now in my hunting career, it's a buck that would fall into the top ten percent for that PARTICULAR area. That's why that question stirs up so much contraversy. It just depends on who you ask.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:21 AM

Very good explination BigWay, thank you.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Trophy-my 1st deer-a yearling Doe at age 15 looked pretty darn big to me taken in 1958 in Ill. (private land)with a wood arrow & stick bow & then the forky in Ws. (my 1st buck-public land) in 1964 was REALLY a TROPHY to me & then this Buck a couple years ago on Public land (pic).
I pass on little Bucks now but then I have been bowhunting 48 years & your idea of a trophy changes over the years. I still Bowhunt tons of public ground & with very good success. I am fortunate to live in the midwest where big deer live & I bowhunt Ill., Iowa & Ws. on a VERY regular basis & 95% of my Deer Hunting is on PUBLIC ground. Some of my public spots have fewer Bowhunters than private places I know of.
I will never critisize someone for taking what others deem LESS than a trophy-we don't know the background of that hunter or the place they have to hunt. I know some guys who see great bucks all the time BUT, there is a reason-they either hunt property bordering some type park, sanctuary or very limited to public access. Some are NEVER privvy to even SEE what I deem a trophy-personally, I have my sights set on a 160 class or better this year BUT then I did last year & my 1 Buck tag per year is hanging over my desk. Oh, the Buck in the pic-I never scored cause I really don't care about record books but I do have lots of respect for those who manage to get in them the HONEST way.

Old 08-18-2004, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

A trophy is any animal you're proud of having shot.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:03 PM

I consider a trophy for me outside the ears or super tall tines. I am very "choosey" when I take an animal. I don't shoot what ever comes walking by.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:23 PM

What is all the darn fuss about "trophies"? To be honest - I can't ever remember the word "trophy" mentioned @ camp when it comes to one of us harvesting a deer. Maybe we don't consider ourselves "trophy hunters". We hunt for the sheer rush of being outdoors, & away from the rat race.

My friends & I live in the burbs, and we all have wives & young kids. We don't live near large expanses of woods/wilderness. The public land that is close enough is so heavily hunted, we primarily avoid it altogether. The closest place around here to sight in a rifle is an hour & 10 minutes away. If we're lucky, we'll be able to get up to camp (7 1/2hrs away) in the off season for routine maintenance and some scouting.

I guess what I'm saying, is that we all pretty much feel grateful/lucky enough to get away for a couple days during bow, rifle, & muzzleloader seasons.

A trophy to one of us would be an 8 pt. & it probably wouldn't make any record books.

Yoopper Hunter
Old 08-20-2004, 11:50 PM

IMHO, a trophy is any animal taken that holds special significance to the person who took it. Ignore what others think.

EKM

Quick Reply: What's a trophy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.