Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

best hunting memory?

Old 08-11-2004, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default best hunting memory?

i posted this in the bowhunting forum but..

Whats your best hunting memory? Mine is when i was hunting with my dad for the last time before he died , i was about 11 years old and didnt carry a gun yet, we got out at our stand before first light. I was so excited to just be out there i was always asking questions and could never really be quiet lol. we were hunting on a rub line and as morning came here comes a huge 8 point. so my dad gave me the gun and says you just aim and pull the triger and i will steady the gun. well i was a nervous wreck my knees were shaking so bad. the buck came in to about 30 yrds. but didnt have a shot because of to much brush and he walked over and made a scrape right in front of us!! well we ended up not gettin a shoot but o well its the memorys that count right.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: best hunting memory?

1.First time I took my son out of school to go hunting. The sun had just came up and I spotted movement below us. I got my gun up and told my boy to look and all the sudden this little bear about 100 lbs comes out of the thicket and scratches his back on a tree.I had never seen a bear in the wild before and I got to share the experience with my 7 yr.old.

2. Taking a stroll at midday when I spotted a buck working a scrape about 150 yards away. Was able to sneak with in 22 yards of him and put an arrow through both lungs.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:25 AM

I was with a friend who had never hunted wild boar from the ground. He had always hunted them from a stand. I talked him into letting me take him on a stalk. We edged our way through the cypress swamps of the Low Country when I spotted a sow about 125-150yards away. He was sorta nervous about being on the ground thing so leaned against a tree fired one shot. All of a sudden this hog was within 20yards of us and gaining we both pulled our sidearms and began firing.....not sure who hit her but she stopped less than three feet from us. What an experience..........TRY IT!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2004, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

ALL of the times when I was younger and my father would take me out of school to go hunting. We never got anything back then, but just the experience and time spent together in the woods with him teaching me what he had learned over the years was everything. My father can no longer hunt with me due to his health. He really doesn't have the drive to take an animals life anymore either since his heart attacks and close calls with the end.
He is 72 now and I am 26. He just lives through my hunting experiences and stories now and really takes pride in my harvests. He is always with me anyway.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:15 AM

I have so many wonderful memories from my years spent in the field from going with my dad when I was young to the many wonderful times spent with friends, However the most special memory was when I was sitting with my 14 year old daughter at the time and she killed her first deer. I can remember every thing about that hunt from the cold cold afternoon to the quite whispering conversation we had and placing the perfect shot like a seasoned vet on the deer. When we reached the deer there was a tiny tear drop in her eye out of respect for the animal and I must say a larger one in my eye. The deer was technicaly a spike however it was really an older deer that would have had a rack but both sides were broken off at about 7". to her it was a 160 class buck and out of all the deer I have taken none has ever ment more to me. Now I can not wait to repeat this feeling with my 6 year old son when the time comes.