Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

let the lil guys walk

Old 08-10-2004, 08:44 PM

Default let the lil guys walk

Just a reminder to all who still shoot everything that walks by. LET EM WALK!!! You will be far more appreciative of a deer once he is mature. No sense in killing a button buck or a small 4 or 6 or even a small 8 for that matter. LET EM WALK!!! If we all put a point restriction on our deer we would all be happy hunters in 5 yrs. If youre hungry shoot a doe.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:51 PM

Default RE: let the lil guys walk

they finally did it here in pa and i think it is doing awesome. the number of 2.5 yr old deer harvested went from like 23% to 43% of the total bucks taken. even still, i know people that shoot any buck still or a barely legal one. i let a 2 little 4 or 5 points walk, one in bow and one in rifle and i know that both were killed in rifle season[:@]
Old 08-10-2004, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

I don't eat the horns and I prefer to shoot a forkhorn as It gives the most meat that is relatively tender. To each his own I resent being made into a trophy hunter to please outfitters who want to sell hunts on Trophy animals. I cherish every animal I take be it a doe,button buck or a rack buck. Just my two cents worth.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I get one general tag per year that I can use on an antlered deer so it will go on a mature buck or not be used at all.If meat is my priority ,I will use an antlerless tag.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:39 AM

bfnc2003,

It doesnt even take 5 yrs for you to see the results. My Dad will tell you a couple of years ago there wasn't nothing (that was legal) safe from me when hunting season opened. Now I've become more selective..............its a real nice feeling that you're left with when that lil one walks on by, try it sometime, you will not be disappointed.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

No sense in killing a button buck or a small 4 or 6 or even a small 8 for that matter.
...I guess you don't hunt New Hampshire. Sure must be easy to let 8 pointers walk when you have that many deer. If we let any deer walk (and a lot of us do), then there is no gaurantee you'll be eating venison. To each his/her own. If it's legal, it's OK with us.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

When i was in my teens wasnt nothing getting by me! Now that i am in my twenties...........i am very choosy on the does and bucks i harvest. That has created my propety to hold common 130 plus deer on average, with the occasional forky horns.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:11 AM

apperently you didnt read my posting too well. I was the one saying to let the lil guys walk and you tell me in your reply to try it sometime?? Not sure I get it but anyways....you are right it doesnt take 5 yrs. for all deer to have sizable,creditable and jaw dropping racks....many deer are 130-140 and larger at age 3....and that is fine I would take em out also. I posted that because where I am from many people shoot anything and everything that walks by them. We have a point restriction in GA where I am from .....this started Id say around 2-3 yrs ago......all I can say is look out B&C here comes some GA bucks in the very near future........
Old 08-11-2004, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

bfnc2003,

I'll continue to shoot what I want. Let em walk....please!!! I hunt near state land and it sounds like a war on opening day of shotgun season. After you have seen a three legged deer limp past you or fawns that were gut shot and not followed up on, then you can tell me how to hunt. My point? If I can kill them cleanly at 20-30 yards as opposed to letting them get maimed during gun season by slob hunters, they are going down. No antler restricitions in Illinois. I like it that way.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:33 AM

I think QDM is great and I practice it on my property but it's not something you can force on others. I have posted the 50 acres I have to ensure those who have access know the rules.

...I guess you don't hunt New Hampshire. Sure must be easy to let 8 pointers walk when you have that many deer. If we let any deer walk (and a lot of us do), then there is no gaurantee you'll be eating venison.
I practice QDM in NH and in Maine. I understand you point about the 8 pointer as there aren't a ton in our woods. I luckly have the option to take a doe on an additional archery tag and the land I hunt in Maine is in an extended archery zone that allows me to take about as many does as I care to buy tags for. I'm starting to see the results of letting little bucks pass forks, basket six, and even the occasional 8. I know alot are shot durring the firearm season and that is out of my control (until I get my 5000 acre ranch) but to get access to my land you've got to play by my QDM rules.

Quick Reply: let the lil guys walk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.