Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How many of you dread the annual wife war? >

How many of you dread the annual wife war?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How many of you dread the annual wife war?

Old 08-11-2004, 04:32 AM

Default RE: How many of you dread the annual wife war?

My girlfriend loves to hunt, fish, camp & anything else outdoors...............life is good.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:51 AM

The Mrs. here Heck, I don't have a problem with my husband going out hunting! When he brings home wild game, I think of:

A) Savings ( I live in country where game isn't far from home)
B) Putting healthy food on our table!

Have you tried explaining the benefits? Of course, it does help if she likes (or at least can tolerate) wild game. And yes...it also helps to keep up on other things that need tending to. No wife wants to hear that her husband is taking time out to hunt- when he hasn't taken time out to repair the washing machine that has been broke for 2 weeks straight. lol
Old 08-11-2004, 09:13 AM

I'm kinda like Cardeer in this one . . . my wife "encourages" me to go! (Well, maybe not as forcefully as your wife, Cardeer!
Old 08-11-2004, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

My girlfriend loves to hunt
girlfriends do not count, that is subject to change once the ring is in your nose.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

When we were dating, my wife said she'd never tell me I couldn't go hunting. Now that we're married and have two boys, 4 and 2, she tells me "I said that before we had kids." Nevertheless, I get away on several hunting trips during the season, and have been able to spend the $ on a cabin shell and take many trips there to try and finish the inside. If you are dating someone, get them to tell you they won't pester you whether you have kids or not, and get it on tape! LOL

I agree it is a tradeoff. I encourage her to do things with her friends so I don't have to feel so guilty when I go. Also, she knows I'll be taking the boys with me before long, so she'll have plenty of time to herself. It has been a struggle, but is starting to get better since the kids are more able to entertain themselves and give her some free time.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:33 PM

Doug,

I think you highlighted some of the problem re: resentments regarding being left with the kids.

My first husband was a hunter, too. That's just wonderful but it created problems when, at any chance, he would take all the 'breaks' and I was left with the children 24/7s. Everyone needs time alone and when your spouse seemingly refuses to allow you time alone (time alone: staying with the kids while you go out or taking them out) and yet s/he takes time out to pursue his/her interests...no doubt, resentments set in. Towards the spouse and whatever is taking up his/her free time.

My husband (now) hunts/traps/fishes when he can and without complaints from me (see post above). He never neglects things needing tending to and that includes giving me the occasional break. So, it all works out perfectly for everybody.
We both get what we want/need. It's called working together.

Yesterday, we actually had someone sit on our kids and we both went out scouting. A very nice change as I too have interest.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

My wife is understanding. (for now)
Old 08-11-2004, 01:35 PM

Before my wife and I got married I asked her would hunting be a problem in our relationship. If she had told me yes I would have never said "I do". I know that sounds rather harsh but like I told her, I've known deer hunting a lot longer that I have known her. She has never once complained about my hunting. I'm lucky though that the land I hunt is only 7 miles from the house, so I can go hunting for 3 or 4 hours and be home in time for supper.

I also go on 2 backpacking trips per year anywhere from 3 to 6 days at the time and she never complains. Yep, I got a good one!
Old 08-11-2004, 01:36 PM

I am very fortunate that my wife, 16 year old daughter and 6 year old son love to hunt and spend time in the woods. I belong to a hunting lease with 20 members and 6000 acres and it is a very family oriented hunting club, and there are several other wives and kids that hunt so they dont feel out of place. So weekends from Nov. until Feb. you will find us at the hunting camp. the only problem is that the last 2 years my wife and daughter have both killed more deer than me. LOL I would not have it any other way.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:15 PM

My wife is understanding. (for now)

TAKE A KID HUNTING!!!!
And she should be later, provided you both are reasonable and considerate to one another We end up shooting ourselves in the foot when we don't marry such a person or are unable to be what we desire in the other. If we all just followed the golden rule....

Nice sig, by the way.

Quick Reply: How many of you dread the annual wife war?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.