Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scopes???

Old 07-31-2004, 06:11 PM

Default Scopes???

Hi All!

got a scope question. I currently have a Savage .270 with the Simmons 3-9x30 scope that it came with. I am currently looking to step up to a better scope and was looking at a 5x12x50. My concern is this... if I go to a minimum of a 5 power... has anyone had the problem of a deer stepping out close by and having a hard time getting focused and zeroed in on it say 30 yards or less. Thanks for any advise!
Old 07-31-2004, 07:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Scopes???

I had rather have a 3x12x50. The lower power is better in lowlight situations. I have a 3x12x56 and usually keep it on 3 power unless I see a deer at a longer distance. Just get a quality scope and shy away from the cheaper ones.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would also rather have a 3-12 power then the 5-12 but then I’ve hunted with a straight 4x power scope for years and have never had any problems with close shots. I don’t think there is that much difference from 4 to 5. You can also set your Simmons at 5 power and check it out for your self and I would also suggest to get a good quality scope..
Old 07-31-2004, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would be looking for a scope with a lower magnification of 2x to 3.5x in case a very close shot presents itself.There is no need to get a scope with an objective larger than 40mm or 42mm if the scope has good quality lenses and the 50mm scopes must be mounted higher which causes problems with proper cheek position on the stock.My choice would be a 3x9x40 or 2.5x10x40 or scope of similar specifications.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:40 PM

i like the higher power scopes it makes it better when shooting varmits.the scope i use is a 6 1/2x20x50 leoupold and have shot deer at 40 yards with no problem
Old 07-31-2004, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

On my biggame setups the low power is 2.5-3.5 and high 10, I have never seen the need for higher than 10 power for a biggame rifle. Most of the time my scopes sit around the mid point - 6 power but on occasions where shots are going to be tight or close I will lower. I like the ability to quickly acquire the target and not have a blob type image in the scope.

Objective size is personal but don't buy a larger objective in a cheaper model and expect great gains. By far you are much better to buy a scope with better lens coatings in a smaller objective!
Old 08-02-2004, 06:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

My favorite scope for big game is the 2X7X40. For Varmits on my Varmit rifle I have a 6X24X40. The 2X7 I am using is an old Redfield which I have had and used every year for 30 years. I like it for all around hunting such as Bear and Moose from tree stands to shots on the prarie to about 300 yards Max. Tha only over powered scope that I have used for hunting was a straight 10 power silhouette scope. That some time gave me problems at close range. Like all you could see was hair.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:55 AM

5x you will be fine even at 30 yrds, it will be close but you will be fine, enjoy and going from a 30mm to a 50mm is a great choice
Old 08-03-2004, 10:34 PM

Well if u do think its a problem then get the raised rings for ur scope so u can still use the ironsights, thats waht i do with my 10/22 rouger so i can hit stuff far away or nail it at my feet
Old 08-04-2004, 04:04 AM

Thanks guys for the help.... Using the raised rings is a good ideal... but I don't have them on my rifle..... I think I am going to go for it....... I have in mind down the road to buy another lighter rifle for targets so if all else fails I can fall back and regroup and put the higher powered scope on the new rifle.....

I appreciate all the help!!

Quick Reply: Scopes???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.