Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Describe your hunting propery....... >

Describe your hunting propery.......

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Describe your hunting propery.......

Old 07-29-2004, 08:15 AM

Default Describe your hunting propery.......

Our club has 640 acres. About 160 of it is CRP pines, and the rest is hardwoods. We have very few open areas. About 3/4 of our property is bottom land with a big creek running through the middle of it from east to west. We have a few cypress breaks and many smaller creeks and sloughs. The hardwoods are full of big oak trees and alot of white oaks. We have an old mobile home we will be renovating for a camp house and will probably sleep about 12 in bunks.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Describe your hunting propery.......

So much property i dont even know how may acres off hand, i have permission to hunt property the adjacent properties and it just runs for ever, i am surprised i havent ran across a bear becuse some places are just rugged for ohio. It has two open fields, just grass feild no agriculture, its all hilly with some open flat hardwoods. It has two main creeks on each side of the propety i usually stick too, some places are just too far to kill a deer and drag it out. The creek on the right we call bob-cat creek, because my uncle was hunting a stand we have were the deer cross and a bob-cat sat right under him, the other we call the ravine it comes up the other side and splits and in the middle is a small pond.
From the top of the property you can see the river across st.rt 52 and see the barges go by and look across the river into augusta kentucky. I love this spot, and so do the bucks, i wouldnt change a thing about this magical place, it is quit a utopia for me.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

We'll go with the one I've hunted the longest. Its 3 adjoining props, although the center one is hunted 95% of the time. Logging and strong storms have removed/knocked down many trees within the last 7-8 years so the undergrowth is THICK. The rest of the trees are a hardwoods mix, mostly of black cherry, maple, and a few oaks. Its about a 50/50 mix of fields and woods. some of the fields are reclaimed strip jobs, so there is no crops. THe other fields run a rotation of corn and wheat. Much of the woods have logging trails cutting them and allowing access. There isn't much of the ground that is flat for any distance, but for one hilltop flat. That is where most of my hunting takes place. It doesn't appear as an overtly good place to setup, but the deer sure do use it.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

The land I hunt is only about 50 acres. There is a large field dead center of the property that usually just gets mowed every now and then. On the lower side is old growth hardwoods, mostly oaks that are very open. On the right is a ravine that runs parallel to the field and has a creek running through it. This is where I normally set up my stand. To the left is a small strip of hardwoods and some thickets that have 2 other smaller fields (again mostly straw) sitting side by side. On the top side of the field is one more lot of oaks that gently slope up to a powerline with yet more hardwoods on the other side. This is also a good spot to catch deer crossing. All in all it's a good mix of food and bedding you just need to be able to catch the deer going in between.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:50 PM

Location #1: My cabin- 160 acres: location: Duechesne county, Utah: Elevation 9500 ft
North facing slope heavy pines really dark timber. Top lighter timber density with aspens mixed in with the conifers. South facing slope bare and STEEP deer and elk feed here in the morning/evenings.

Location #2: Public ridge-300 acres: location: Wouldn't you like to know! Utah elevation 8500 ft
Wonderful parklike land filled with deer, elk, grouse, fox, and coyote. Wide meadows filled with grasses and shrubs, ringed with lots of aspens and conifers. Gently sloping down it views 700+ acres of public land filled with deer/elk that offer shot opportunities.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

>>>> J3K, saw your area on Court TV last night..... They were detailing the Pinder case where he murdered the handyman and his girlfriend,and then attempted to use dynamite to blow up the bodies. I've been in your part of Utah,and it's just beautiful..... I love the desert.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:42 PM

I absolutely love that area! GLad to know others do too.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am from Martin Ohio in Ottawa co. ,the land I hunt about 800 acres total with 250 woods and 75 acers cpr. The woods are small , bigest is 35 acers or so with creek linesand scatered steep hill sides . A 15 acres reclaimed pasture with 20 or so large trees and lots of 10-15 ft trees is 200 yds from my back door has acounted for 2 large bucks and 4 does the since it was reclaimed ( we quit milking cows) 12 years ago. I spend more time in the 200 or so acres of standing corn each year chasing BIG bucks than in the woods.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

80% planted pines with thick underbrush the rest scattered oaks and sand pines
Old 07-30-2004, 08:03 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. It's interesting to know what others are hunting. Our hunting styles will vary greatly with the type of land we hunt.

Quick Reply: Describe your hunting propery.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.