Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer attractant

Old 07-28-2004, 08:05 PM

Default deer attractant

looking for advice on good attactant to keep deer coming. I'm looking through cabelas and there is a ton of brands from Deercane to buckbran, to buckgrub. I don't know what works best and was wondering what you guys have luck with.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: deer attractant

I would have to say Buckgrub is the best.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:02 PM

I have used quite a few different attractants over the years . I started with the Buck Grub and the deer liked it ok but have found they prefer the Buck Bran that is made by Wildgame Innovations. I also use the Cutting Edge vitamin mineral supplements that is made by the Whitetail Institute. I use these products around my scouting cameras and as long as I keep putting it out the deer tear it up. IF you don't mind the initial expense, put out a bag of several different things and the deer will show you which they prefer. Different deer like different things and maybe your deer prefer something else. Good luck.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:39 AM

im using the Deer CoCain & Deer Cain they work well & also im using the buck jam: apple near an apple archord & buck jam: persimmons on a trail where there is alot of persimmon trees are for what i seen from those two things: THEY ARE WORKING WELL & hopefully i get this 8pt im seeing
Old 08-06-2004, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

regular salt block you give cows.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:40 AM

i hunt a area of texas that is loaded with acorn,rock, and cactus. we keep feeders going year around .we have never seen a deer at the feeders while hunting.we were beginning to wonder just how many deer were really there.we had tried every kind of attractant we could buy.there were just does and horses on our cam.i saw a tv show that used buck grub. i had never used it. i put it on the ground and also added it to my corn feeders.it says it takes about 2 weeks to get the deer coming in. the first week i saw just one doe. the next weekend i got my film developed.we were using buck grub at 2 seperate feeders.when i got the film developed i almost fainted. there were 3 huge bucks at one feeder. the other feeder had 1 big buck, 2 spikes, and several doe.needless to say we were stoked.we continued to see the deer. for some dumb reason we quit using the buck grub. the deer disappeared.. we did harvest one nice buck,154,20" spread,205 lbs. the one pic i took had this buck and 2 others with at least 24" spreads.
our feeders were pretty slow thru the summer.i finally added the buck grub again and they are back. i usually do not believe the bs but this is one that actually works.i have a buddy in east texas that did not see many deer. he is now using buck grub and has many deer around. not sure why this works but it does.i have a 25lb bag sitting in my living room waiting to be used in the morning
Old 08-07-2004, 07:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dep, do you mix the Buckgrub with the corn in the feeder?
Old 08-07-2004, 08:42 AM

i have 55 gal feeders. i put in 300lbs of corn and then put 5lbc buck grub on top of the corn. i stir it a little and that is all. i then put a thin layer on the ground under the feeder
Old 08-07-2004, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

I use the 30/30 buckgrub also and have mixed it with corn above an initial lick of 30/06 made by Whitetail Institute and they tear it up. I have a 8 ft. by 6 ft wide hole that is almost 3 ft deep in the woods where I put this stuff. It is bringing them in from afar.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:04 PM

Ive never even given a thought to trying buck grub, thought it was one of those gimmicks tha attracted hunters better than deer, and Ive been attracted to plenty that didnt work as advertised. BUT it sounds like from what y all are posting, that I might need to check BuckGrub out this season. I believe I will thanks, hope for some action.

Quick Reply: deer attractant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.