Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

303 british help

Old 07-27-2004, 10:45 PM

Default 303 british help

Hello, I have a 303 british, and I have never shot it. I was wondering if it was a good gun and if I will be dissapointed?

thanks mark
Old 07-28-2004, 07:18 AM

Default RE: 303 british help

I have two different .303's that my father used for years. Can't say how the one you picked up will shoot but both of mine shoot terrific. As far as the .303 round will do, I've found them to be very effective on deer and even bear at reasonable range. If you're a handloader, you can just about duplicate a 30.06 load. I've found that both of mine like the heavier bullets rather than the lite stuff and will shoot 3/4" groups off a bench at 100 yards. They have a very strong action that will take alot of abuse. I'd recommend you have a good gunsmith check the headspace before shooting since these older rifles can be worn pretty well. Don't be discouraged with the round nose bullets etc compared to more modern carts. This is not a woodchuck cart for shooting 500 yards. It's heavy medicine on deer at reasonable range. Good luck and good shooting.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:31 AM

I second Highpower on the British Enfields. I have a sporterized No1 Mk111 and a No4 Mk1 in original condition. They would both make excellent hunting rifles.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would slug the bore to make sure you are using the best bullets. I think there is some variation in bore size with the 303.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:42 PM

I have two boxes of ammo if someone is interested... 190Gr. silver tips..
Old 08-06-2004, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of us older type Canucks used the 303 British like folks in the States use the Mod 94 in 30/30. Nothing wrong with the gun or the round. I shot my first moose in northern B.C. with a jungle carbine model when I was 16(many years ago).

Ron
Old 08-09-2004, 10:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

The actions of the british models are not really very strong. If you load them hot, your brass will have a short life. I have three of them. One is a Canadian Version. Very nice gun and shoots well The older British I have has a bad bore and is just a mantle piece. The other is one made in the U.S. during the war on the Eddiestone action. This is a very strong action and was made for the 30-06. The old 303 has killed every species in the world many times and has been carried in Africa for many decades. Its best used for Deer and Black Bear sized game but many elk and moose have been taken with them as it was the main gun in Canada for many many years.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:14 AM

As an Aussie, I can tell you that the .303 SMLE in its many different configurations has been the most popular firearm in this country since WW1, and still gives sterling service today to those many who have them. They are strong and rugged, and will survive immersion in mud and water, dust and more, and still shoot straight. I have never had one that failed in any way, and even after thousands of rounds fired, still shoot straight.

As a kid in the bush, I was brought up with one in my hands from the age of 8 years, and shot literally hundreds of kangaroos, wallabies, foxes, wild dogs, and the occasional wombat with this weapon. Most of the ammo used was ex-military full brass jacket, as opposed to the more suitable soft-nosed rounds manufactured today. Either way, it is an excellent killer of medium to large game, as well as vermin. I have also knocked over hundreds of rabbits with one - largely because the .303 was the only weapon I had at the time (1950s - 60s), and ammo was dirt cheap. Nobody eats the heads anyway ... !
'Roo shooting was also a source of extra income for my dad and my older brother, and we were often enlisted to reduce numbers on neighbouring farms, particularly during wheat growing season. A mob of 'roos, often up to a thousand in number, would rapidly destroy a crop farmer's annual income if not kept in check.
My Uncle Max even had a Lewis Gun - a WW1 vintage light machine gun with a spinning magazine on top that ate .303 ammo - mounted on a sliding rack on the roof of his farm truck. This was not quite legal, but in the 1950s, just a few years after WW2, a lot of such things were overlooked, particularly if you were a great distance from the city like we were. It was responsible for a heavy toll on the kangaroo population, and before anyone starts complaining about any alleged slaughtering of native wildlife, a very false picture is painted overseas of this country's so-called endangered species. Believe me, the kangaroo is in no danger of extinction, not by a long shot!

My last .303 was a sporterized one with a chrome plated trigger guard, butt plate, magazine and sling clip. Unfortunately it was swindled from me by a supposed 'friend' who took advantage of my inebriated state and gave me $30 for it, and promptly left town with it.

However luck is with me - a gun-dealer friend has been entrusted with over 700 firearms, confiscated from another dealer caught selling illegal & unregistered weapons, by the state police, to sort out what is saleable and therefore registerable. He has enlisted my help in the sorting out - part of my 'fee' is a Lithgow-made MkIII model (1943) which is still in the original grease packing paper, and has never been fired. The stock is unmarked, and the bore still full of grease. Along with the rifle, I also get 2 full cases of ex-military ammo, 1,000 rounds in all.

I must confess the desire to renew my love affair with the .303 is largely sentimental, as today all my serious hunting is done with a Sako .375H&H Mag and a Weatherby Vanguard in .300WSM, but the 'SMeLly' as we call them, will no doubt provide some pleasurable shooting, and will be a proud piece to pass on to my sons, also keen hunters.

A coming trip to shoot pigs on an outback property in NSW will see the new 'smelly' fire its first serious shots.