Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bass Pro Stealth Cam

Old 07-27-2004, 12:06 PM

Default Bass Pro Stealth Cam

Bass pro has this basic camera on sale for 59 bucks. It seems to be the cheapest camera out there and I was wondering if it really works. Can anybody let me know from experience, or will I need to shell out more money to get good results?
Old 07-27-2004, 12:14 PM

Default RE: Bass Pro Stealth Cam

I believe you are refering to the mc-2g model. They are great cams and take great pictures. For $60.00 you can't go wrong. If you do a search in the bowhunting forum you'll find lots of info on the modle and others on the market. If you don't mind paying for developing and film this is the most bang for your buck.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with adams, but let me expand on the idea. A higher priced digital camera will pay for itself in time because once you buy it there are no film/dev fees. The drawback comes when someone steals it. I bought the $59 one and just put it out a few days ago. If I use it a year or two and someone swipes it I'll just go and buy another one, By then they might only cost $49. Get the idea? A camera that costs $400-$800 sitting in the woods is a big risk. Weigh your risk and make your choice.
As for quality, you get what you pay for.
I only need to be able to judge the bucks I capture on film. I'm not looking to sell my photos to a magazine, so OK quality is good enough for me.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's my response on this in the Bowhunting forum.

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...1&key=&#700623
Old 07-27-2004, 09:24 PM
Fork Horn

I had that cam and went through 3 rolls of film in it that wouldn't rewind. I tried everything - new batteries, old batteries, press the little rewind button - nothing worked. Ended up destroying all 3 rolls of film before I sent the thing back to Cabela's for a refund. IMO they are pieces of junk and I would never buy another one. Of course that's just me - there are plenty of people who've had good luck with them - although there seems to be a bunch of us who've had problems as well.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stealth Cam does work and not bad for the most part. There are plenty of people who have had problems with them though. One bad thing they eat batteries. I have three cams of which the Trailtimer EZ Cam or Photohunter are by far the easiest to operated and very dependable. Pics are as good as they get. The EZ Cam can be purchased for about $149, the Photohunter for about $229. I think the EZ Cam is a great buy...its basically the same guts as the Photohunter in a new better case.

Warning: Just be careful........Trail Cameras are addicting, they're almost more fun than hunting!!!

Good Luck!
Old 07-27-2004, 10:38 PM

we bought 4 last season, and we got our moneys worth and then some. I may buy more this year. They arent the best, dont have the most features, but bottom line, they do what they are supposed to do.