Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

.44 mag

Old 07-26-2004, 01:38 PM

Default .44 mag

I have a.44 mag pistol.Can anyone tell me what a good ammunition would be for deer ?
Old 07-26-2004, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: .44 mag

Any 240 gr or heavier factory load will do fine out to 75-100 yds. Hot loaded ammo will cleanly kill deer out to 150 yds., assuming you get a lot of target practice at this distance, and know your bullet's trajectory.

Low magnification scopes are really helpful beyond 50 yds, but be sure to get good bases/rings due to recoil.

JHP bullets seem to put deer down fastest, but all designs work well.

Some great deer ammo is available from winchester, federal, remington, corbon, buffalo bore, garretts, and many, many more.

To keep it quick, generally the more expensive the ammo, the more range it will give you. Cheap factory loads should give you about 75 yds., and the more expensive ammo can extend range out to around 150 yds.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

wow my uncle shot a deer with his 44 an wow alotta damage blew t he heart apart
Old 07-26-2004, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would try REM 44 mag 275 gr corelock for a factory load this one dose a great job.