Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

is hanging a stand a pain

Old 07-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default is hanging a stand a pain

Is hanging a stand a pain for you? For me it is climbing up the steps with one hand and the stand in the other. I am about 16 feet off the ground. I am scared one of these times I am going to fall. I am only 21 it takes alot work hanging a stand. What will I be like when I middle age. If you have any easier way to hang a stand left me know?
Old 07-21-2004, 12:58 AM

Default RE: is hanging a stand a pain

I use a small rope with a carabiner clip tied to it attached to the stand that I raise and lower my gun or bow with. So when hanging a stand I leave it on the ground and hook the clip onto a belt loop and the pull the stand up when I reach where I want to be in the tree. Leaves both hands free for climbing.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:24 AM

I do the same thing as Deerslayer444, makes things a whole lot easier.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:29 AM
Typical Buck

I agree it makes this chore much easier to do.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I either have the stand backpack style, or tied to a rope on my belt loop and then pull it up. I still have a hard time hanging stands, screwing in steps and everything. I am a pretty athletic person, I must be doing something wrong. I did get a better harness system, for this year, maybe that will make things better and safer while hanging.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:27 AM
New Sheriff

Nope,

ever since I got that safety strap like the telephone pole climers wear, hanging stands is a snap.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:08 AM

When I setup a hanging stand in a location I usually do it pre-season. I bring my climbing stand with me, climb up to slightly below the hight I am going to hang the stand. I then pull the hanging stand up with a rope and can strap it to the tree and get it setup while standing on a steady platform. Once I have it all secure I just climb down the tree then screw in the steps all the way up to the stand. This method is a lot easier than trying to hang on to the tree, while your standing on a little tree step, doing a balancing act trying to get the stand setup......
Old 07-21-2004, 11:59 AM

I hang my stand 8 to 10 weeks before season starts and I use an extension ladder, it takes an extra trip from the truck to get it there, but man is it a lot eaiser hanging stands.

Also helps that I don't have to haul it very far, maybe a 1/4 mile at most.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wear a strap so I can use both hands. Also, I have some home made loc-ons that weigh about 40 lbs. I screw in an eye bolt up in the tree. Then I tie a piece of rope with a snap hook on to the stand as well as a piece of rope for pulling. I pull the stand up with the rope and then hook the snap hook into the eye bolt. Then the stand just sets there in position while I hook everything up.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use my climbing stand. Climb up. Pull up the hanging stand, hang it and go home. I don't put the pegs or climbing sticks up until I'm ready to hunt to help avoid theft.

Quick Reply: is hanging a stand a pain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.