Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mock Scrapes

Old 07-07-2004, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Mock Scrapes

I was wondering if anybody had any tips on making a mock scrape, like where to place them stragically. Alos what kind of scent to you perfer to use. I have a scrape dripper, should i use it or just apply the scent to the ground.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:45 PM

Default RE: Mock Scrapes

Put it on a rub line that you can sit near with a stand. Use a standard garden rake. Make sure you have a licking stick, or some light sapling that overhangs. small branch with twigs will work too. If there are no possible licking sticks there, tie one on securely. make sure you are using rubber gloves when you do this. dont get any human scent on the string to tie it on. freshen the scrape once a day or every couple of days with buck tarsal scent. it may spook younger bucks, but the mature bucks will get kinda mad. scrapes are like fire hydrants to dogs. the neighborhood marking pole. the dominant bucks know what bucks are in the area. has nothing to do with breeding.

slayer
Old 07-08-2004, 12:59 AM
Typical Buck

I made six of them last year and they worked out great. I was using a scrape kit that included interdigital gland, preorbital gland, and tarsal gland. Rubber gloves are a must when applying the scent. Interdigital gland is the scent from between the hoofs, be careful too much of it and you will scare everything off. 2 drops or sprays is enough. Preorbital is the forehead gland a buck uses when he rubs his antlers on his licking branch 5-8 sprays or drops on above broken branch. Tarsal gland is just used to let other deer know that a buck did this work, 4-6 drops or sprays. Don't use any of the rut scents in the early season, all scents should be mild. The main objective is to get deer to visit it often for now, so you can pattern them. One little trick to try, with rubber gloves place a small stick in the middle of your mock scrape. Come back in a week to freshen up the scrape or scrapes and see if the stick has been moved. If it has then a buck has visited the site. You can pattern what time of day he is hitting it by coming back at different intervals throughout the week or day as the rut approaches. Be cautious , scent control is a must. Mid-day is good, most deer are on their bed during this time. This way you can eliminate either mornings or evenings based upon your results. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

Made one last year to get the deer in a better spot for a shot. He abandoned his scrape and used mine but he always visited it at night.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

I did a couple very similar to LL. One thing as a tip to what's been said. Find a fallen limb and use it to scrape up the ground. I drop a little scent on the end before I do this. Better than hauling a rake into the bush and no issues with bringing in scent on the rake. Scent control a must!

Both were hit regularily. Missed a nice 10 pointer coming to one. I am back with a new one this year and hopefully he will be too!
Old 07-26-2004, 09:35 AM

So is it to early to start a mock scrape?

Any one ever try digging the dirt up from two scrapes on diffrent properties and swapping it around?
Old 07-26-2004, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: rocketman250r

So is it to early to start a mock scrape?

Any one ever try digging the dirt up from two scrapes on diffrent properties and swapping it around?
I think it's a bit early to make mock scapes.

Isn't it a lot easier to pour something out of a bottle?
Old 07-29-2004, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

awwww man, i used mock scrapes last year just all over and i have never seen so many bucks there in my life of hunting there, they truly work in ohio for me. I start mock scraping last week of october, but this year the rut is going to come early so i will do it second week of october to get the boys excited and keeping them around.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:24 PM

Curious to try a mock scrape this year & try out some things.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:16 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

What product are all you using to make your scrapes. thanks

Quick Reply: Mock Scrapes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.