Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How would you hunt this peice of land (pics) >

How would you hunt this peice of land (pics)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How would you hunt this peice of land (pics)

Old 06-29-2004, 05:31 PM

Default How would you hunt this peice of land (pics)

Okay Im not an artist, but how would you hunt this land. My friend in Anson county owns this property, and this will be his first year hunting anything. I have been out there and walked the property but saw no signs of any deer.

The woods are VERY dense as in, the fiel;d of view might at best be 10-15 feet in any one spot, the fields are all corn, and the pond is well, a pond.
I told him that the corner nearest the pond in the woods "square" of his property might be the best place to be, though, he might not ever see anything as there are alot of ponds within a mile of his location.
Going to try and make the picture show, dont laugh if i dont make it at first...
Old 06-29-2004, 07:29 PM

Default RE: How would you hunt this peice of land (pics)

Any help guys?
Old 06-29-2004, 07:56 PM

I think everyone is asleep... []
Old 06-29-2004, 08:09 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry, but your drawing doesn't give me a good reckoning of the property.

Post an aerial view and I'll give my opinion.

Good luck!
Old 06-29-2004, 08:19 PM

Know of a good place for arial views? Get me a url and Ill post it !
Old 06-29-2004, 08:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would go back out and do a thorough job of looking at the property, paying attention to old rubs, old scrapes, bedding areas and anything else that has been made by a deer. To say there is NO deer sign makes me think that you probably missed the signs. Once you locate the sign take an aerial photo and try to pinpoint everything about the property related to the deer sign that you can. Do this soon, and go ahead and cut out shooting lanes with a chainsaw if necessary and put in three or four hanging or ladder stands unless you are going to hunt with a climber. Remember to hunt the wind, thus the need for multiple stand sites. I wouldn't spend much time trying to hunt the pond.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:42 AM

upper right corner near pond the dense woods and the corn, how thick is the area where the pond is, is this the only source of water?
Old 06-30-2004, 07:15 AM

i would walk the woodline between the corn and woods looking for entrance and exit trails into the corn first,then follow the trails looking for old buck sign.early fall when corn is ready to pick,would be good for bowhunting and gun hunting after picking.then walk the rest of the perimiter looking for trails into and out of the woods.if there are any funnels into or out of the woods,i would pay particular attention to those.i have hunted anson,moore,caswell and rockingham counties while living in NC and there is some good hunting there.good luck!
Old 06-30-2004, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

Walk along the edge of the thick woods and look for deer trails, You need to find some sign before you can determine where you even want to setup.

Jim
Old 06-30-2004, 09:10 AM

I would start off in the strip of woods near the pond. Look for sign there, if you find it put up a stand where you can see the pond and then cut shooting lanes. Try to be able to see the 50 yds across the strip, once he's in the stand might be able to see deer moving and move his stand.

Also, what's across the street? If it's all woods then I might set up in that strip down near the road. Probably be the only place deer feel comfortable crossing.

What is to the left of the picture?

Need more detail but the place looks huntable to me.

Quick Reply: How would you hunt this peice of land (pics)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.