Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My Dog Is Incredible

Old 06-27-2004, 09:22 PM

Default My Dog Is Incredible

It works and I never thought it could. Let me first say that I thought that my dog had no interest in finding antlers what so ever. I was wrong. Anyone out there who does not believe in dogs being able to find antlers needs to give it a try after what happened to me today. I woke up this morning and decided that I would drive around our dove field to see if we had any dove yet. We had quite a few but that was not the point. Anyway, I was driving through the field and in the middle of the field there is kinda a low point where we have a clover plot (and milit around it for the dove...the milit is starting to finally sprout...yes!) Anyway, in the middle of the clover plot, there is even a lower point where it is too wet for clover and it is just overgrown in wheat from the winter and weeds. Well, I drove around this wet spot because we have had so much rain, but my dog decided that she would run straight through the center. Well, I reached the other side of the wet spot and just kept driving through the field. When I reached the other side, I stopped the car and looked back at where my dog went into the low point. I had no clue as to where she was because usually she runs straight through and meets up with me. All of a sudden, she came running out of the overgrown area. At first I though nothing of it until I noticed that something was weird. It looked like she was carrying a white branch in her mouth. She finally made it to me after racing across that field happy as ever. Thats when I noticed that she had just found and brought me a NICE 4 point shed (woulda been a NICE 8 point). You have not idea how shocked I was, nor how much attention that dog got from me today. I will definitely keep training her to find them over the next year!
Old 06-27-2004, 11:20 PM

Default RE: My Dog Is Incredible

So, your dog found an antler...once...and brought it to you, and now she's amazing? Sounds like luck to me, she probably thought it was just a white branch... Hate to burst your bubble.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

So, your dog found an antler...once...and brought it to you, and now she's amazing? Sounds like luck to me, she probably thought it was just a white branch... Hate to burst your bubble.

dang washington why dont u just bust his bubble, so he thinks his dog is great nothing wrong with that
Old 06-28-2004, 08:43 AM

Dang Washington, take it easy. Sounds like you're having a bad day, or jealous of his dog.

If my dog found a shed AND a new deer hunting spot where a decent buck was probably bedding during the day, I'd be happy as ever.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:20 AM

Actually, my dog hates sticks. When she was a pup we taught her not to pick up sticks becuase we have known dogs that pick up sticks and then walk up to you and jab you in the leg with them by accident. So, I know that she did not think that it was a stick becuase she would not have picked it up and then run across a 15 acre field just to bring me a stick. Now it might have been luck that she just ran across it and was actually not looking for it, and I actually would bet that that is what happened; however, I am still pretty proud of that dog for at least recognizing the antler and actually bringing it to me when she had to run across a 15 acre field to bring it to me. No, you have not bursted my bubble, instead, you have shown me how much people would really like to have a dog that could help them during the spring. If anyone is interested in knowing how I, well, "trained" her, just ask and I would be happy to share what I did...even though it was not too complex.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:41 AM

My dogs LOVE deer antlers! They each have one that the lab found(she has dragged up 5 so far since I got her). They make the best pacifiers for a restless dog! They will each lay in the den with their "antlerfiers" and are quiet as a mouse (except for the crunching)..

Congrats on a good antler dog there, buddy!! (You DID let it keep the antler, didn't ya)
Old 06-28-2004, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

DeerManiac874,

How did you go about training the dog?? Just curious...
Old 06-28-2004, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I once had my black lab bring me one home after she got loose, and i live in the suburbs! Where he got it from i have no eye deer!!
Old 06-28-2004, 08:00 PM

Aww, come on now, I was just giving him a hard time! If his dog can consistently bring back sheds, you bet I'll be jealous! I may just have to start working with my lab to see if he can do it!
Old 06-28-2004, 10:46 PM

Congrats on the shed and the dog!!!! I know my lab loves her antler chew toys, maybe she will find me some more!

Quick Reply: My Dog Is Incredible

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.