Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Did I do the right thing?

Old 06-20-2004, 07:52 PM

Default Did I do the right thing?

This happend a few years ago but I have been thinking about it lately.

My 1st years of bowhunting 2 years ago it was mid bow season. I had a ground blind set up about 22 yards away from a major trail. One morning about 7:10 I see this really white thing moving to my right about 75 yards away. I quickly figure out that is a buck. At that time I did'nt know how big it was. So I get ready I stand up behind a tree. But the buck is going down this small small trail I didnt even see untill he was on. He comes down the trail to my right he's about 20 yards not a clear shot yet and I realize how big he is. The biggest buck I have ever seen hunting ( the biggest my grandpa has seen hunting also). So he works closer and closer I draw my bow the 1st chance I got and wait. He not begins working a scrap 10 yards away still no clear shot becuz I saw some small saplings infromt of him so I wasnt sure I wanted to shoot and cripple him bcuz of a deflected shot so I dont shoot. A minute later he contiunes walked down the trail as Im about to shoot 5 yards away he either scents heor sees something he doesnt like and takes off. I just want your opinion on if I should of taking that shot or not when he was 10 yards away I didnt shoot bcuz of a possible deflection but I wasnt sure so I didnt shoot. Did I do the right thing or was I just being to cautious?
Old 06-20-2004, 07:57 PM

Default RE: Did I do the right thing?

Hindsight is always 20/20 DS. After reading your story, it seems to me that you did the right thing. Just think if you had flung the arrow and wounded him. Then you would have known for sure that you did the wrong thing. Go with your best judgement and you can't go wrong.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

i wouldnt have shot. i think u did the right thing. if i took a shot and wounded a deer in that situation, i would always be second-guessing myself on an easy shot. <<<i dont know maybe im just being too cautious there
Old 06-20-2004, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is a judgemental call and only you can make that call when it comes. Under some conditions a needle can be threaded and under some others it can't. I would rather have the feeling that you have now as opposed to having to go to bed knowing that I wounded an animal and have it eat away at me. I am sure you did the right thing, just think how big he'll be this year. Good luck, Bobby
Old 06-20-2004, 09:46 PM
PLB

I think you made the right decision.

Personally, I only take shots that I truely believe that I can make. If there is any doubt, I don't take the shot.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

You called it right, you wherent comfortable with the shot and you didnt take it, great job. It would be nice if others did the same.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

You did the right thing! Period! If in your mind it is a bad shot to take, then the best thing is to let it pass!
I hear way too many times,"I knew it was not a good shot, but it was the buck of a lifetime , so I tried!"
That just doesn't hold water!
If it is a bad shot, poor angle, too long, obstructions, or whatever! It is just not worth taking! Whether it is a doe, spike, or "buck of a lifetime!
"It was a buck of a lifetime" is a poor excuse for taking a shot you don't have!
I know it's easy to get caught up in the moment, so I'm not ttrying to put anybody down here! But you did a good thing!
Old 06-21-2004, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

i think you did the right thing...better safe than sorry.....
Old 06-21-2004, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

No one can know for sure except yourself. Whenever I find this question being asked, (usually by fellow hunters at camp), they want to hear from others that they did the right thing. We can only go by what we are told but the bottom line is for you to KNOW you did the right thing. It appears that is the case here, so no matter how many folks agree or disagree with you, it is how you feel that matters most. Remember, the decisions we make in the woods, don't end there, many memories last a lifetime.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:16 AM

I agree with everyone else. You did the right thing. Don't shoot if you are not sure.

Quick Reply: Did I do the right thing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.