Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent-Lok importance

Old 06-15-2004, 06:31 AM

Default Scent-Lok importance

quick question........how important is scent-lok when hunting from a tree stand???........

thanks!
Old 06-15-2004, 06:56 AM
Spike

Default RE: Scent-Lok importance

You'll get alot of different answers on this one...
I've worn scentlok the last 3 seasons and think it helps alot as long as your already very scent consious. I bath in scent free soap, use a buttload of scent killer spray, and don't put my camo on till I'm getting ready to walk into the woods to hunt.
My take on it is that while it seems to be a great help it really isn't necessry to kill deer as ong as you play the wind and are scent consious....But...I'll continue to wear it to help bail me out when things go wrong.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:27 AM

I believe it all depends on where you hunt. If you hunt an area with much human activity I think it doesn't matter as much as if you hunt in the deep woods. I had an experience once when duck hunting in a swamp while wearing full camo witha face mask and reeking of aftershave,because of a commitment later in the day, I had a doe with her fawns walk right up to me. She didn't move until I bumped her in the nose with the back of my hand. Not very smart because in her hurry to get out of there she destroyed my waders with her hooves.Almost opened up my foot and lower leg.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

I'm with Carpn on this one. I feel it helps, but at the same time I'm very scent conscience. Shower before every hunt with scent free soap/shampoo, scent free deoderant, rubber boots, scent free laundry, etc etc. I alos store all my hunting stuff in rubber bins and don't take them our until I'm ready to wear them. Then I spray down before my walk, then again when I'm up in the tree. Probably overboard, but I nver get busted anymore. Rarely have a deer even look nervous.

J
Old 06-15-2004, 08:10 AM

Ever notice how most rubber containers have a distict smell? It's going straight to your clothes.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

B.S
Old 06-15-2004, 08:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think watching the wind and getting high up a tree is more important, but some people will disagree.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

No matter what, watch the wind!
Old 06-15-2004, 09:22 PM

"I think watching the wind and getting high up a tree is more important"

I do most of my hunting from the ground, hunting out of natural ground blinds, so I'm just about always at eye level with the deer. I use very few scent control products that are out there on the market today. The past few years I've used Carbon Blast, which I spray on myself when I'm walking to my blind, but other then that I dont use any other thing. About the only time I "watch the wind" is when I'm doing a stalk. Most of the time when I'm in a blind the wind will change a couple of times, so it does no good to worry about something that you cant control. Alot of the time I will spread out a thin trail of corn with MY HAND just before I sit in my blind. Every single time the deer come and eat the corn, they never act nervous about the corn which I know has my scent all over it. Just last year my buddy killed a 176" buck after sprinkling a trail of corn down the sendero. About 45 minutes after that, the buck came out and offered a clean neck shot to my friend.

"If you hunt an area with much human activity I think it doesn't matter as much as if you hunt in the deep woods"

Honestly, I believe it is the other way around. If your hunting in a area that has alot of human pressure, then the deer are going to be more weary of humans. But if you hunt in an area that has no hunting pressure, then the deer wont spook as easily. For example where I hunt, most of the deer have never seen a human before, most of them probably have never smelt one before either. There is almost no hunting pressure on the places that I hunt. Sure there are several hunters, but we hunt such a big area. My friends ranch is 4,500 acres and the only people that hunt there is him and me. So the deer that I hunt are normally care free of human scent. As long as they dont see you moving, your good to go.

"I'm very scent conscience. Shower before every hunt with scent free soap/shampoo, scent free deoderant, rubber boots, scent free laundry, etc etc. I alos store all my hunting stuff in rubber bins and don't take them our until I'm ready to wear them. Then I spray down before my walk, then again when I'm up in the tree."

For your area that might be necessary, but its not like that every where. I take a shower every morning no matter what, but even before I go out hunting I use the same shampoo and soap that I do year around. Actually most of the time I go hunting, I dont even wear full camo. I normally put on a button down shirt ( most of the time it is camo), a pair of blue jeans, and about the only "extra" thing I wear is a camo face mask.

Scent control really depends on where you hunt, and how much pressure the deer herd receives.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is a waste of money. Just play the wind and hang the stand high.

Quick Reply: Scent-Lok importance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.