Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What winch setup to crank up heavy deer feeder? >

What winch setup to crank up heavy deer feeder?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What winch setup to crank up heavy deer feeder?

Old 06-04-2004, 10:33 AM
etw

Default RE: What winch setup to crank up heavy deer feeder?

DON'T. A 55 gallon drum holds over 350 pounds of corn. If you insist, do not use rope of any kind, use cable. First time a squirrel takes a liking to the rope its crunch time. I use steel poles snugged into Moultrie brand stubbie leg kits ($20). Dig holes and cement those legs if you have tip worries.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Steel poles snugged into the stubbie legs and cemented in the ground, hunh? That's a good idea!! You use them on 55 gallon feeders and they work fine? How long are the steel poles, and do they telescope all the way into the stubbie legs, or do they stop just after going inside them? Trying to get an idea of what to get. I imagine it will take a ladder to fill it too...
Old 06-09-2004, 08:17 AM
etw

Yes it will take a ladder to fill. I just camo paint the ladder and leave it in the woods. I use the galv steel CORNER post used for chain link fences. They come in two lengths, check em' out at Home Depot. The posts are about $14-18 bucks apiece. The Moultrie stubbie leg kit is $20. The stubbies are smaller diameter, the post slips over them. I use a screw through post into the stubbie. That way when you are setting it up, the leg doesn't fall off. Camo paint the whole setup.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:19 PM

How high does everyone go with the feeder? I had a 5 gallon Moultrie feeder three feet off the ground hanging off a 4x4 set up I built and it seemed to spook the deer. Just dug it up and am working on extending it higher. Any advise on minimum height for the bottom of the feeder?

Thanks,
MD Piney
Old 06-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

MDPiney, I had the bottom of miy 16 gallon one at about 8 feet and it worked fine.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:02 PM
crc

I WOULDNT KNOW SINCE I AINT GOT ONE OF THOSE.[&o]
Old 06-11-2004, 09:03 PM
crc

I WOULDNT KNOW
Old 06-13-2004, 08:11 PM

Doug,

Thanks for the advice. With the extra height I added the bottom of the feeder should meet the 8' you recommended.

Good luck,
MD Piney
Old 06-15-2004, 08:13 AM
Spike

Doug,
No luck finding the website I referred to earlier. Apparently their site is down.

etw,
Can you post a pic or two of your setup? Sounds like a good idea but I can't visualize it.
Thanks,
heel
Old 06-15-2004, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, etw. Could you explain the "screw through post into the stubbie?"

I know about the stubbie legs that bolt onto the side of the feeders. Also, I know about the regular metal posts that are much bigger in diameter, so that the stubbies can easily fit into them with lots of room to spare. I imagine the metal fence posts get cemented in the ground in such a way that their ends will accomodate the stubbies of the feeder. So the feeder ends up being high up in the air and level. Is that it, or is it more complicated?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: What winch setup to crank up heavy deer feeder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.