Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How long did it take you to tag your 1st deer? >

How long did it take you to tag your 1st deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How long did it take you to tag your 1st deer?

Old 07-01-2004, 09:32 AM

Default RE: How long did it take you to tag your 1st deer?

It was the last drive of the season for me on my 3rd season. The group let my family post because we had to leave and out jumped a nice 8 pointer on my side!!! I was sure I dropped him with only 2 shots but somehow I had 2 empty clips on the ground?!?
Old 07-01-2004, 09:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I killed my first a doe on the last day of the first season I hunted, I think I was 10, may have been 9 though, it has been a few years![8D]
Old 07-01-2004, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

my second season, a 1.5 year old doe with my shot gun, i was 15
Old 07-01-2004, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

5 years for me.
7 pt buck.

Archery only so far, and I'd only gone out about 5 to 10 times per year, but year #1 I only got out twice.
That first one is an amazing experience!
I was lucky enough to have my buddy who got me int o hunting come out to take pics and loan me his deer cart, and then shared my first deer meat with my Dad, who taught me to shoot.

I'm hoping to get one or two more this fall.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:45 PM

I started deer hunting with a gun when I was 16. I shot my first doe during my second year. My first bow kill, I had been sitting on stand for no more than 2 hours on the very first time out and had a doe down. Man was that an experience. Probably mostly luck, but a good stand location was the key.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:49 PM

I think it took me 1 1/2 years. I think I was 12 (I am now 15), and I shot the deer in Louisiana. 2 does nd 2 yearlings came out, all at the same time. I picked the largest doe out, and shot her at about 60 yards right before dark. She dropped like a bag of sand. I put a shot a little high, and severed the spinal cord. At least she never knew what had happened. Last year I killed 5 does. They added up to being my 7th deer of my life. The owner had about 10 tags remianing going into the late part of the season so he kept giving me the tags, so I kept shooting the deer. I just bought a new scope, bino's, and am about to be getting a range finder. THOSE DEER SHOULD BE SHAKIN' THERE KNEES. LOL

GOOD HUNTING
Old 07-02-2004, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Still working on it.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was 16 - it was my third season 1984 - the two prior being bow only seasons in NY. So 1/2 way through my 1st gun gun season - I shot a doe at 20 yds with a bolt action 16ga Mossberg.

I was happy - my uncle was there - and I remember him helping me get it out of the woods more than the deer itself.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

My first Whitetailed deer came in my 2nd season of hunting deer ,I had a shot a a deer earlier in the day and I guess i got a little buck fever and shot the tree in front of it and wasn't able to chamber aanother shell as it walked away ,but later after lunch I got lost and turned to come back to where i had started only to have a large doe run down the hill right at me ,I never missed this time .This happened on my 18th birthday ,what a great birthday gift.The lesson on cleaning it wasn't the greatest since the only thing I had ever cleanred before were rabbit's haha.everyone in the bush knew where I was after I shot this deer I couldn't stop yelling for all the excitement that I felt .

nubo
Old 07-30-2004, 07:11 PM

I killed my first deer during my first full season of deer hunting. the year before I went out a time or 2 with my neighbors 20ga but was too nervous to pull the trigger when I had 2 does standing at 15yds my first time out. The first deer I finally did take fell to my buddies Knight Wolverine 50cal. I 'spot and stalked' all morning when a yearling doe crossed the path about 20yds in front of me. After it crossed the trail I snuck up to where it was and mouth called to her as she was walking away. She turned and came right back to about 15yds and I dropped her with a shot right through her throat and out her left shoulder. Funny thing is, when I pulled the trigger I coulda swore I had the crosshairs centered behind her right shoulder.

Quick Reply: How long did it take you to tag your 1st deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.