Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Luck in deer hunting

Old 05-21-2004, 08:21 AM

Default RE: Luck in deer hunting

Luck in hunting is what allows some guy that doesn't have a lot of skill and/or experience to walk into the woods sit on a stump, stone wall or ridge and take an enormous animal.

It's not luck when you have scouted the entire year, factored your scent and wind direction, cover and feeding patterns of the animal you are hunting. Practiced with your weapon of choice till you fire with close to 100% accuracy. To call that person's taking of a nice animal as luck, isn't giving the amount of effort and dedication it's due.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's no luck in it, good or bad.

Things happen. Do you say to yourself, "Boy was I unlucky today", everytime you don't get a deer?
Old 05-21-2004, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

I dont belive in luck either I think it has to do with the law of averages. The longer and the more you hunt the better the chance you have .

So stay long and go every chance you can there is your luck.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:21 PM

True "Just" you can't catch a fish without a line in the water. Same for hunting spend the time and you will be rewarded. However, there are some of those rare days when the deer are everywhere and you have to calm your nerves to pick one. Luck may play a role there. Couple of years ago I sat in a stand (oxymoron huh?) where I counted 7 does 12 hogs in the am. Took a nice fat doe before I got picked up. Went back in the pm saw 4 nice bucks took a nice 7 pointer and called it a day. Now that was more luck cause the rut was up and these deer where just moving around. At one point I had three bucks in the scope so that is like hitting a 300 yd drive in golf on a day when you shoot a 110. It keeps you coming back.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sacohuntress, tell the truth, I'll bet you are either from Needmore Blue's Old Stand or Sandfield..................
Old 05-22-2004, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think, as said above, you make your own "luck". If you know your area, pay attention to scent, keep your eyes on the constant lookout and pay attention to the weather cues and sign in your are you can get "lucky".
That said, there are those guys who buy a new gun, have hunting clothes that smell like K-mart, and walk out an are done at 8:00 am with a 10 point.....kinda rare though.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:57 PM

Mostly luck and sometimes in order to be lucky you must pay your dues and go and go and go!
I for one enjoy paying the dues and getting to go hunting more. i get alot enjoyment just seeing deer. and thus guys that hunt with me always say "boy you have all the luck" NO i just stay after it.

When they say the weather is going to be bad this weekend and don't go i'm there! i love bad weather hunting cause there ain't no yo yo hunters to get the deer into hide mode.

Is that luck or skill?
Old 05-24-2004, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

Let me clarify what I consider luck in my hunting club.
I hunt with 8 other guys and we have 10 box stands set up overlooking food plots on 1,000 acres and we shoot 6 point or better. I have two climbing stands set up in the woods that I like to hunt because it is more enjoyable to me hunting from them. I will consider wind direction, location, lunar tables, and deer sightings to make my decision on what stand to hunt each day. I will hunt 4 or 5 times or longer to see deer (either in a box or woods stand). A few other individuals will just pick a box to hunt from without any reason and take a deer from them after an hour or two (some see and take bucks with this same method). This in itself is not amazing, but to do it on a fairly consistant basis is. I call what they have luck.

ps I do very much enjoy my time in the woods and consider my lucky to have a place to hunt, relax, and bring my child to go hunting. The property we lease is some of the prettiest property I have ever seen (rolling hills with hardwood bottoms).
Old 05-24-2004, 02:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with those who say that the harder you work and the more you learn, the better your chances are. That said, there is always a bit of good or bad luck involved. Hunting and fishing.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: James B

I agree with those who say that the harder you work and the more you learn, the better your chances are. That said, there is always a bit of good or bad luck involved. Hunting and fishing.
that is what i was trying to say , lol......

Quick Reply: Luck in deer hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.