Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Western Ontario Whitetails

Old 02-20-2002, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Western Ontario Whitetails

Can anyone recomment a place in western Ontario for an unguided hunt? There seems to be several outfitters in the Kenora Ontario area.
I am looking for a do it yourself hunt which is affordable enough to do each year. Although I do bow hunt, I would most likely use a rifle or muzzleloader depending on the season dates. I guess the biggest question I have is where to hunt? Are there large tracks of public land which is open for access, or are you required to pay a trespass fee? Do you bump into many other hunters when you get a mile or more from the road? And of course, how is the deer hunting? Many deer? Many mature bucks?

I don't mind hunting on my own and can do my own cooking. Are there places which you can rent for a week to 10 days which have a kitchen to prepare meals in?

Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rob

Old 02-20-2002, 07:38 PM
XTP

Default RE: Western Ontario Whitetails

Rob,why not drive a hour more to the west and come to Manitoba??The southeast side of the province is covered by huge provincial forests that are full of fire/logging roads for easy access.Deer populations are high,with many large bodied(and large antlered!!!) deer being taken,and even more getting away!My personal best is a 300+lb,12 point,but I've found 8 and 10 point sheds that would score higher yet.There are many small towns and motels in this area,so finding a place to stay shouldn't be a problem.You will often run into other hunters on the ROADS,but once you get back in the bush,you will rarely see anyone else.If you decide you are interested,let me know what info. you need and I will try to help you out.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

borealboy is from Thunder Bay. He should be able to help you.

Dan O.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

XTP,

Are non-residence required to have a guide in Manitoba? I thought they were, that's why I was looking just across the border in western Ontario.

What's the deer density like? On an average day out, how many deer do you see?

Thanks for the info . . . Rob
Old 02-20-2002, 09:46 PM
XTP

Have to find my reg's...I'll get back to you.Deer density is nowhere near what it is in alot of places south of the border,but when you find the right spot...what you see are BIG bucks.Last year on the second day of the season,I saw two deer by 10:00AM,one of which was a 10 point buck!!(which I gladly harvested)
Old 02-22-2002, 02:37 PM
Spike

In Manitoba a non resident cannot hunt(DEER) unless it is a guided hunt. Waterfowl is different.
Old 02-23-2002, 01:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-24-2002, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lazyarcher,

I'm not opposed to southern or eastern Ontario, but I have heard good things about the west. I am looking for an unguided hunt, for a couple of reasons. The first is making it affordable to do each year for a week to 10 days. I have been hunting Maine for 10 days and it cost me about $500. I would like something in the same ballpark where there is a legitimate chance at a good buck. Maine is ok, but deer sightings are very low, especially after last years winter kill. How was the 2000/2001 winter in Ontario?

. . . Rob
Old 02-24-2002, 08:04 AM

I believe most of southern Ontario is off limits to nonresident's. Anywhere there is a draw for controlled number's would be off limits.

Call the land technician for the mnr in area you are intrested in, he will be able to tell you where ALL the public land is. These guy's are very helpful, Ive even had a few send areial photo's at no charge.

Old 02-24-2002, 08:14 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Western Ontario Whitetails

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.