Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who’s Deer?

Old 05-09-2004, 07:52 PM

Default Who’s Deer?

Who’s Deer ?

This is a question that sometimes comes up and I was wondering how others here handle this problem.

If a Hunter hit’s deer but does managers to keep it down and runs into another hunters area . With the second person finally drops this animal, who has bragging rights ?
Old 05-09-2004, 08:07 PM

Default RE: Who’s Deer?

the person with the killing shot of course. it says so in the hunting regs book... but in less words....
Old 05-09-2004, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

On our club, whoever's shot kills the deer, gets gutting, dragging, cooling, butchering and baloney making for the entire club chores.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

In our group the guy that puts the first hit on it gets the deer and really regardless of that hit. We all share the workload and help each other out, it all works very well and equal in the end. I am just as happy gutting a partners animals as if I were my own and visa v.

However I assume your talking about different hunting parties, then I'd lean towards the first vital hit gets the animal...but how does one determine this for sure without going CSI! Most likely the hunter who gets to the animal first will win the right wether warranted ot not. I am glad this isn't an issue for my areas and if it were I certainly wouldn't claim or shoot another hunters animal, if I did and he established it was wounded when I fired than I wouldn't argue, most likely ask him if he needs a hand(either dragging or at the range). Why fight over a dead animal when many others are still on the hoof? Arguing would just waste time, effort and energy - most likely not resulting in a very good feeling regardless of the outcome. If the killing is your only reason than quite simply your are missing a boatlaod when it comes to hunting! It is reward that isn't required in my mind to thoroughly enjoy myself. However being in a company of a$$hole$ who would, I'd hit the dusty trial for greener pastures very quickly as this wouldn't make me feel very satisfied!
Old 05-10-2004, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with skeeter, so long as it's from our group. It has happened in the past and never has there been a question. Now if it involves a total stranger, everything can change. It happened to my buddy a few yrs back. He has shot a small buck (4 pointer, about 135 pounds dressed) with his 30/06 from his treestand. The deer was hit good and ran about 30 yds when he heard another shot. By the time he got down and approached the other hunter, he was putting his tag on it. My buddy's shot had gone right through the lung and heart area and the deer was dead before it ran. The evidence was clear that the second shot was never needed. Massive blood trail from the initial shot. Sooooo, the other hunter got the deer and legally, it may be the case, but there is also something called integrity. In essence, my opinion, the other hunter legally stole someone else's deer. My buddy kept saying.."It ain't right"....and he said he would not have done that to any hunter.......There are many situations and scenerios that must be addressed on it's own merit, but this was blatant.....Use common sense and in almost all cases the right thing will be done. If a hunter shoots a deer, hits it and it still runs to the next county before another hunter drops it, then the situation is conmpletetly different...
Old 05-10-2004, 08:40 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

The deer was hit good and ran about 30 yds when he heard another shot. By the time he got down and approached the other hunter, he was putting his tag on it. My buddy's shot had gone right through the lung and heart area and the deer was dead before it ran. The evidence was clear that the second shot was never needed. Massive blood trail from the initial shot. Sooooo, the other hunter got the deer and legally, it may be the case, but there is also something called integrity. In essence, my opinion, the other hunter legally stole someone else's deer.
Next time shoot it in the head . It won't run at all and nobody else could possibly say that they shot it .
Old 05-10-2004, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jimmy, as I stated I think this will usually be the case in a crowded hunting area and not always will it be fair but really what do you do! Any guy who would tag another's animal is better off out of the woods and especially after he heard the shot so close...at 30 yards I am not sure I would have picked the pine needles out of my teeth yet from hitting the dirt much less shoot at a deer![] It does suck and may happen but I wouldn't let some idiot ruin my trip or fun, just move on and not dwell on it is my suggestion. I have seen where this will fester and ruin a whole trip, last year we got flagged in elk season the other party setup while we were calling and they botched our setup on a herd with their stupidity and greed. Some were absolutely fuming in our group calling them every name in the book and really screwed those guys for the rest of the day, funny though 2 of us took it in stride and dealt with it, sure we were pissed off but really what can you do after the fact....nothing! That evening the 2 of us set up and were able to draw out a 6x6 that was the other guys first elk. Mentally we never let a bad experience take advantage of us, we just started over and it resulted in an animal on the ground. You have 2 choices worry about what you can't change or actually go out and change the history, even if you don't connect my bet is you'll feel much better than stewing over spilled milk!

Kevin, I ceratinily hope your comment was with sarcism, telling a hunter to aim for the head vs the vitals is not the right answer here. I have seen way to many botched head/neck shots to even suggest one attempt to take them much less not knowing that person's ability or shooting skill level!
Old 05-10-2004, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Skeeter, I could not agree with you more....not to let it ruin your hunting trip because of the actions of others...But it is hard to not let it bother you....We hunt NH and the area has low deer density, so if you miss the oppirtunuty to tag, or decide to let a legal deer walk in hopes of gettin' the big guy, you may not get another chance during the rest of the season....The question is that deer that my buddy lost to another hunter was a small, young buck. Some other hunters would have done the same thing, but what happens when someone tries to put their tag on the biggest buck of your life......That may be a scary situation.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jimmy regardless of the animals headgear it sucks and ain't right. Of course it bothers you but the difference is what you do following an encounter that you really can't change, is all I am saying. I would expect most could deal with a situation like an adult but know that isn't the case, so instead of playground tatics I choose the other option walk away holding my head high. Trophy buck of lifetime might hurt more but really what the he!! is a guy going to do? Shoot the guy or beat him up ain't an option, let the bullheaded @#$%* have my deer staring at him, maybe one day it will fall off the wall and gorge him or something unfortunate like that[8D].

Thankfully in my case I hunt in areas very few others will be, so not really a concern of mine. If it ever did I would try and reason but failing that just walk away(wouldn't offer my assistance, except for him/her to take a course in ethics). It ain't b/c I am scared or small, it is I see no point in fighting over an animal that can be replaced..I maybe the minority here it is up to each individual to decide what is best for them. Been in a share of fights as a young chap and never did I leave feeling to good, regardless of if I won or lost I guess it is how I am wired you could say.

Plain old sucks in any fashion, I hope you or your buddy don't have to face it again.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:59 PM

Thanks everyone for responding!

The old-timers used to say probably for the most part because they were hunting on state game lands , if the first person wasn’t marksmen enough to drop the deer in its tracks and finally was dropped by another hunter . The closest shooter at its final dropping had bragging rights. If some Hunter came back to camp claiming he had missed one , tradition was his shirttail got cut off and hung on the cabin walls.

Quick Reply: Who’s Deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.