Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How did that deer get soooooo close? >

How did that deer get soooooo close?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How did that deer get soooooo close?

Old 05-06-2004, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How did that deer get soooooo close?

We were recently talking about how deer can suddenly appear (almost from nowhere) in a place that you recently checked. Suddenly you hear something, you slowly turn and there he is...standing not 20 yds away.....How did he get so close without my knowing it? (Of course those answers may used for another thread)...How often have you been suprised at deer that seem to slip in real close ?
Old 05-06-2004, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How did that deer get soooooo close?

Good topic!

I was 16 at the time. It was the first time I ever went bowhunting. I came upon an old homemade stand in the woods [not recommended]. I climbed
up and watched all day. Toward evening I was still diligently watching and all of a sudden I glanced straight down and not five yards from my tree was a 5-point standing there eating. I raised my bow and nearly knocked my hat off my head. I had to lower the bow, fix my hat and draw again.
The arrow hit that buck so hard that it fell over right there and died. It never kicked or anything. How's that for beginners luck? I had shot other bucks with a rifle though. Needless to say I was hooked on bowhunting for life. The old stand still remains, there is a house about 40 yards away now though.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

2 years ago during shotgun season. I had a decent 6 point buck come across the field and I shot at it. I missed but wasn't sure at the time. I waited there about another hour and I had to take a leak. I thought I had missed but I thought I'll get down, go to the bathroom, and see for sure if I'd hit the buck. I tied a rope to my gun (I didn't have a sling) and got back into my stand and started pulling my gun up. Just as I grabbed my gun I looked up and there he was. Standing 25 yards in front of me was a NICE 10 pointer!! He noticed that I noticed him and he ran right by my tree and took off before I could get my gun up!! If I'd have only waited 15 more minutes to get down I probably would have got down to get him.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't get me started!
I can't tell you how many times I've lowered my bow down and then seen a buck approaching, and had to slowly attempt to raise it back up again.
One year I was using and old climber that made a hell of a racket when climbing. I don't know if it sounded like rattling or what but three days in a row a buck came running to me before I was even halfway up.[Of course the bow was on the ground, tied to the hoist rope].
Old 05-06-2004, 09:04 PM

When I was 15 years old, I finally got to hunt on the opening day of rifle season by myself, and I can attest to this... I continuously scanned the woods, yet all I saw was the usual: trees, leaves, and squirrels. Then, all of the sudden, I looked up the mountain and standing only 30 yards above my stand was a 5 point. I had NO idea how he got there. I got my gun, shot, and watched as I clipped an unforeseen sapling and the deer ran straight uphill for about 600 yards until he was killed by a guy in our group at the top of the ridge. That's the last deer that has snuck up on me since. [&:] (That I know of, anyway!) [8D]
Old 05-07-2004, 09:55 AM

It happens to me every year. Look one way...nothing, look another way nothing....look back 10 sec later and one is standing there. Always be ready to shoot!