Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First-time deer hunter

Old 04-29-2004, 11:17 AM

Default First-time deer hunter

This fall, I plan on making my first deer hunt (a doe hunt here in Texas). I've been told to expect to shoot at about 75 yards, and I expect I'll be using my Marlin 30-30.

Aside from getting really good with my aim, what can I be doing to prepare for the hunt? I've done some dove hunting and a little feral hog hunting, but am not much of an experienced outdoorsman.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: First-time deer hunter

Welcome to the board Moose!
A word of warning, once you start deer hunting, you will be hooked for life!
You've got the first part right, learn to shoot your weapon well! The 30-30 will be a good deer caliber, out to about 150 yards! Learn to estimate your ranges or if you have a range finder that would be great too! I've seen many inexperienced hunters under estimate ranges, especially when shooing a short-medium range gun like the 30-30.
Other than that, learn all you can about deer, learn how to control your scent and be careful of wind directions, and you'll have a good start on deer hunting! Good luck!
Old 04-29-2004, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Jag you'll be hooked. Yeap hit the paper as much as you can to find out how your gun and you will do come fall. I would talk with other deer hunters, just to get a feeling for their habits, patterns, indicators, etc. Watching a few vids or reading books/mags would be another good idea. Also preview this site by reading and posting..you found an excellent resource with many experienced longtime deer chasers, not to mention other game and technical advise can be found by looking through the categories.

Best of luck and welcome to the site and our world(Deer Mania)
Old 04-29-2004, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

THis is good stuff their telling you moose the only thing I can add is when shooting your first deer foucs on the spot you want to hit and squeese.

Good luck
Old 04-29-2004, 07:46 PM

Don't practice off of the bench.
Practice using field rests and field positions and practice offhand.
No benchrests in the deer patch, big difference in a "bench marksman" and a "field shooter" --- one don't necessarily beget the other.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,

EKM
Old 04-30-2004, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

Elkamp has a very good point. Build your shooting skills on a bench for confidence is shooting your rifle, your rifles drop and limit of range with the weapon. After all the is found out go out and bust some rocks at different ranges. Find the best style of rest you prefer to use in the field wether it be a tree or limb, sitting, kneeling or prone.

Your rifle will do you well in years to come. Always take shots you know you will kill the animal with one shot. Broadside and quartering away is the most optimal kill opportunity's. Sometimes no matter who does the shooting a follow up shot will be neccessary. But its better to make sure you have done everything you could to be a ethical and proficient hunt when taking shots at game. And always be safe in the field with your rifle.

The 30-30 was one of my first biggame rifles and it did good by me. I took plenty of elk and deer with it while growing into manhood. I think its a wonderful first time rifle. Good luck to you and I hope you are very successful in the years to come.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sound like you're in for a dose of addiction.

ALWAYS hunt using the wind. The nose knows.
Dawn and dusk are the best times to see deer, but they do move all day, especially when hunting pressure is on.
Accurate shooting is all about trigger control. Master the trigger, and you master the gun.
Don't aim at the deer, aim at the center of the kill-zone.
Practice shooting at small targets. It's the only way to get good enough to hit them.
Shoot to kill with one shot, but chamber another round right away, and be ready for a follow up shot.
You can't eat what you can't kill.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Its all trial and error. You will learn as you make mistakes. The more you are out in the field the better of a hunter you will become. Just as in life. I too will have to admit you will be addicted to hunting. Especially if you didnt growup hunting and your a little bit older. You will have that misterious hunting fever that is ten fold of the average hunter. Time, patience and a steady hand and youll have it made. It wont be long you will no longer care to shoot does and move up to the big bucks.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:26 AM

If it was me i would start off by using a bench rest, get comfort. with your gun and then start using other types of rest, and enjoy the sport dont rush it take all the time u need with the gun
Old 05-04-2004, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the advice.

One factor is that I'm in my mid-40's--probably a bit late to be taking up deer hunting, but better late than never, I suppose.

Quick Reply: First-time deer hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.