Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scents?

Old 01-01-2002, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Scents?

Before i go hunting i always spray myself with scent killer and a little racoon urine on my boots. I was wondering what you do to cover/eliminate your scent? Also have any of you found a attractant scent that you believe truly works?
Old 01-01-2002, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Scents?

I use a cover scent or scent killer, I think that they are good. As for the attractants, I quit wasting money on them. I have never had any sure proof that they work. I'm sure that in some places they do work, they just haven't for me.
Old 01-02-2002, 03:13 AM

I use scent shield and an earth scent cover up, but as I have said before I have seen deer with and without the scents so if they are really needed, I dont know. Play the wind.
Old 01-02-2002, 06:04 AM

I have confidence in scent killer spray. I think it really works. I have used both kinds the regular that kills your scent and the fall formula that also smells like dirt. I spray all my clothes and gear. Have had good luck with both kinds.
Old 01-02-2002, 08:44 AM

I'm not a big fan of scent attractancts. But, I use the cover scents anytime I go out. I will also store all of my clothes in a scent proof back with a dirt scent wafer.

When I head out to my stand, I use a scent pad on the bottom of my boots and spray them with coon or fox urine.

This seems to work most of the time, but you cannot completely eliminate your scent you can only mask it to a certain degree which may be the difference b/t seeing deer or just squirrels.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:18 PM
Spike

I am a firm believer in playing the wind. You can never be 100% scent free however i do think they will help if he gets downwind of you. I use scent killers and also put a Whitetail life "Stud Finder" in tree with me with cover scent in it.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:46 AM
Spike

I agree it's important to play the wind. The issue I have is where the deer move on my property is such a narrow corridor that playing the wind doesn't always work.

Like several of you I use a mix of scent killer and cover scents. I have no proof but I rotate my cover scent each time I use a stand (fox one time, then racoon or skunk) so that the deer don't associate a certain scent to danger.

I have lost my faith in scent trapping clothing. When Scentloc first came out I know it worked because the deer bedded down right under my stand during an early October hunt. I bought their newer stuff a few years ago but was not impressed.

One note about raccoon scent. Be care putting on your clothes and wearing it into your stand. I once had a confrontation with an angry boar who climbed my tree looking for the intruder in his territory.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:52 AM
Spike

This seems to work most of the time, but you cannot completely eliminate your scent you can only mask it to a certain degree which may be the difference b/t seeing deer or just squirrels.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:53 AM
Spike

I use scent killers and also put a Whitetail life "Stud Finder" in tree with me with cover scent in it.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cover scent doesn't work and if it did it would be free anyway.

Quick Reply: Scents?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.