Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Just another off season thought! >

Just another off season thought!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Just another off season thought!

Old 04-12-2004, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Just another off season thought!

After reading another thread about the different camo types, I got to thinking more about camo's role in deer hunting.
Don't get me wrong, I respect deer's vision, and personally, I prefer the old Realtree and Mossy Oak camo!
It have come to the conclusion, that just about ANY camo will work, I even use the old GI issue's now and then!
I would further have to say, that if you are relying on camo for hunting success, then you need to improve your hunting skills! To me scent elemenation, stalking, scouting, and stealth, are far more important than your brand of camo!
What do you think? It's been too long since last season, and this season's still a long way off!
Old 04-12-2004, 06:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Just another off season thought!

Just add restricting movement while in the stand and I agree 100%.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:38 PM

Anything that breaks up your outline will work. That's why you see so many different types of camo. If something new comes out, someone will buy it and say it's the best. If doesn't matter if your invisable, just have to break up your outline and stay still when they are lookin. I read somewhere where someone did a study on what breaks up your outline the best.....want to know what it was? With the color in black and white...a Hawiian T-shirt. And yet we spend hundreds of dollars on trying to look invisable.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:44 PM

I wear it cause it looks cool.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:15 PM

ORIGINAL: zak123

I wear it cause it looks cool.
where did you go??! I can't see you!! [&:]
Old 04-12-2004, 08:38 PM

Just as long as you can sit still or move very slowly. Deer wont be able to distinguish you from a tree or rock if you sit still but if you move they can pick you right off, and then it is bye bye. It doesnt matter to me what camo I use. All I do is sit fairly still, move little when I see a deer coming, and dont make any sudden movements.
As for the scent business, I've never really saw much of an affect with that. I mean I use some scent elimination stuff now and then and keep my clothes in a plastic bag with some pine needles, but I just dont go to the extent that I know some people go to.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Half the time I don't even bother with the camo. Preventing the sudden movements and antsiness is more important. I know they say deer are color blind but I swear they can pick out the blaze orange vest from a mile away. Besides with the orange requirement I feel it nullifies any advantage the camo gives.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good point JAG about the hunting skills. I sometimes think folks get all caught up in the new "stuff" on the market today. Hunters were shooting deer for years way before camo came to the hunting scene. The old red check woolies and wool jacket worn with or without an orange vest was the order of the day. I honestly think hunters of the past had a better understanding of the animal they hunted and relyed on their knoweldge and skill to be successful. I take nothing away from anyone that uses the latest camo fashions to hit the market. The reason is obvious, to help in making you less noticeable while in the field. That certainly makes sense, but I know a few hunters that think that using cover scents, scent eliminators, full camo, attractants, buck lure etc. makes them a better hunter. If you don't practice the learned skills and gain a better understanding of deer, then all the camo in the world isn''t going to help.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm glad to see you guys get my point! With the exception of close in bow hunting, (and ANY good camo will do for that too) if you are relying on your camo to get the deer, you are betting on the wrong thing, and will be disappointed more often than not!
Old 04-19-2004, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

I do wear camo, but I class the craze over all the different camo designs with most of the other hocus pocus magazines trump up to keep the advertisers happy.

Quick Reply: Just another off season thought!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.