Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does your deer grunt frezee??

Old 04-11-2004, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Does your deer grunt frezee??

Does your deer grunt frezee while hunting. I guess my Question is more directed towards people who hunt up here in Canada in November, December. I have been thinkn about my hunting gear. And one thing that really ticks me off is when the reed in my grunt frezees or gets real moist. Then it is not reliable to work or else sounds like a castrated GOOSE.........

Any one have the same problem? I know I can keep the tube inside my jacket, but with mitts on, fishn for the grunt tube is no fun.

Whats everyone else do??
Old 04-11-2004, 02:13 PM

Default RE: Does your deer grunt frezee??

Yep my grunt sure does freeze up bad. I have a Carlton grunt tube of some type and i am not too happy with it, I am changin it up for this year. It seems the call is fine until you grunt 3 or 4 sessions then the moisture from your breath must condense and freeze it up. I have to keep it down my shirt and then pull it out everytime when i grunt. It makes for more noise, more movement and more of a hassle. I would be interested in hearing of any grunt calls that won't freeze up when its dips below zero.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:06 PM

My temps here in N. Miss really don't cause much problem, but. I have 2 grunt tuhes and don't use either. I found that I can vocalize much better than either tube. I called in a 6 point (in velvet) from 400 yds. to within 15 feet of the wife and I. He stood there for 2-3 minutes studying us and finally walked on past us and returned to where he was before I called. I also used a deep grunt on a small 4 pt. that froze him in his tracks. Thinking that a big buck was in the area, he turned and returned to the thicket he had come out of.
I have retired my calls until I lose my voice ability.

Russ
Old 04-11-2004, 06:16 PM

My never has.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:52 PM

mine used to,until i found that you can get them so you inhale insted of xhale, now I dont have to worrie about them freezing,
Old 04-11-2004, 10:04 PM
crc

Mine has never froze.But down here inTEXAS i doubt it would freeze.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope.I have one that you inhale thru instead of blowing into.Never had a problem.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:30 AM
Dominant Buck

One more vote for an inhale grunter , it never freezes . The model I have was designed for bow hunters , so it's even hands free .
Old 04-12-2004, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

Ya, I have that problem every year and it's been getting to me too[:@]. I usually just breath into it, covering the end until I hear the reed loosen up, then grunt. It's really a pain if you need it instantly. I'm going to try something different this year too. But you never know if it'll work until you try it in the bitter cold. Let me know if you guy's have any luck. JDinAB
Old 04-13-2004, 01:50 AM

Ya JD i do that also, cup my hand over the end and breath into it to thaw it out but every now and then the thing just lets loose and makes a very odd loud gunt. It hasn't cost me yet but i would sure feel like a dummy if there was a nice buck standing behind me when one of those stupid noises comes out of that tube.

Quick Reply: Does your deer grunt frezee??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.