Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shed antler trap?

Old 01-06-2002, 03:35 PM

Default RE: Shed antler trap?

I don't have a choice here in Pa feeding deer is against the law and they just passed a law so it is now legal to keep antler sheds. I will have to go out and look for them.I look at it as an after season scouting trip anyway.
Old 01-06-2002, 06:44 PM

Coot,we put about a 2 inch wide slot and about 1/4 of the way around the barrel. It seems to work.
Old 01-06-2002, 08:28 PM

ive never made nor seen one but ive had heard stoies about one that worked.
get a piece of chicken wire ( wide wire mesh ) and fold it into a v or W then get a peice of lumber (2 by 12 maybe) and fasten the chicken wire on end on the board. then put it in woods and put corn on it. the deer are supposed to get horns caught in it when feeding but ive never made one so if someone knows of this working write back
Old 01-07-2002, 08:25 AM

How about an old burned out set of box springs? Lay them out and pour your feed into them. Let us know if this works.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I went to the site stinky posted, two of the photos are VERY FISHY, one shows a deer with one antler in broad daylight, if you go to another page of the site you will see the negative to the exact same pic where they claim it is night time!

I for one would not set one of these things up, deer do get hung in fences and the like and die a slow painful death.

The Tazman
Old 01-07-2002, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I saw these last year at our states deer classic. They are not made of wire but a bungee cord crisscrossed back and forth. They may work but I wouldn't spend the money for it. Who knows if the pics they show were not taken in a penned in area andtheshed placed hanging from the bucket.
Plus would you really want to take the chance of a buck getting hung up in this contraption. Let mother nature do its work and enjoy walking in the woods. The last thing you want to be labeled as another lazy hunter. I was in Wyoming by Casper and there is an area where Mule deer hang out. You can feed them and they come right up to you. I was feeding them carrots and the big ones would come up with only one antlerside left and I would try to tap the antler off. I would like to emphasize tap and I wouldn't try to grab or hit. They backed away anytime I grazed the antler, so I am wondering if it is sensitive to them and if it is would they stick there head in the "antler trap"?
Old 01-07-2002, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I saw these last year at our states deer classic. They are not made of wire but a bungee cord crisscrossed back and forth. They may work but I wouldn't spend the money for it. Who knows if the pics they show were not taken in a penned in area andtheshed placed hanging from the bucket.
Plus would you really want to take the chance of a buck getting hung up in this contraption. Let mother nature do its work and enjoy walking in the woods. The last thing you want to be labeled as another lazy hunter. I was in Wyoming by Casper and there is an area where Mule deer hang out. You can feed them and they come right up to you. I was feeding them carrots and the big ones would come up with only one antlerside left and I would try to tap the antler off. I would like to emphasize tap and I wouldn't try to grab or hit. They backed away anytime I grazed the antler, so I am wondering if it is sensitive to them and if it is would they stick there head in the "antler trap"?
Old 01-07-2002, 06:48 PM

Hey, Natty Bumpo from Md. say Hi to J.F.Cooper for me.
Old 01-14-2002, 03:59 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-14-2002, 04:41 PM

that would be illegal in ohio

Quick Reply: Shed antler trap?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.