Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Caution to wooden stand builders >

Caution to wooden stand builders

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Caution to wooden stand builders

Old 03-18-2004, 07:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Caution to wooden stand builders

The new wood treatment process used now uses a salt based preservative. Do not use regular nails or screws in the wood as the salt will rust them out in about 6 months or less (depends on the size of the nail/screw). Lots of people are going to have a problem in using this type of lumber. You need to use either stainless steel or other recommended nails/screws.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:32 PM

Default RE: Caution to wooden stand builders

thanxs for the heads up timber. I am fortunate because i use my own sawed up lumber for my stands. Its not treated but it seems to work and last just fine.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

where did you hear this, I have a hard time believing that the wood industry would use an additive that would rust away screws so quickly
Old 03-19-2004, 06:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

It wasn't the choice of the wood industry. Environmental concerns involving the chemicals used before brought this on. One of the chemicals used was a type of arsenik (sp?) mixture. Another thing is that the cost of the lumber is higher as well as the metal fasteners necessary to use with the lumber.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:00 AM

when did they start using this "treatment" i built a doghouse about 6 months ago using treated plywood, screws arent rusted.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

January 1, 2004 was the last day the treatment plants could use the arsenik based method of treatment. Any lumber on their yards or in the store inventories is legal to sell and it will soon be all gone, if it isn't already gone. Cost of the new salt based treated lumber is around 30% higher.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

As a follow up, a couple of more things to consider. If you use your saws to cut up the new treatment type lumber and do not do a very good cleanup on the saws before you store them in the toolshed, the salt will eat them up as well as the other tools you used. If you use the treated lumber to floor out your utility trailer, it to will be rusted out very soon as well as all other common metals the lumber is in contact with. The problems are not restricted to the fasteners used in the lumber.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Timbercruiser, thanks for the heads up on this, I haven't heard a thing about this before you brought it up.

zrexpilot, it takes me 20 minutes to read your posts since my eyes can't seem to focus on the words for some mysterious reason
Old 03-23-2004, 09:57 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm having the same prob Jorgy ,
I keep seeing these blue spots swimming in front of my eyes ...
Old 03-23-2004, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I personally use nail guns for everything,
Zrex I know its quicker using a nail gun, but stainless screws just do a better job. They last forever, won't rust or tarnish, easy to remove without destroying the wood and they don't pull, pop or come loose after 2 years. It also shows the difference between a craftsman and one who's just in it for the pay check. It shows quality. Just tellin it like it is.

Quick Reply: Caution to wooden stand builders

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.