Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scrape Hunting Tips?

Old 03-04-2004, 07:10 PM

Default Scrape Hunting Tips?

does anyone have anytips they use for scrape hunting. . .thanx
Old 03-05-2004, 11:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Scrape Hunting Tips?

Honestly I've never had alot of succes hunting scrapes. They are mainly made and visited at night. here's alink to an interesting short article on scrapes.

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/featu...APES/index.htm

Dasher found that 90 percent of all visits occurred after legal shooting hours. Other studies support these same findings. Is scrape hunting worth our time? Well, research indicates that if you hunt at night (which is obvious illegal), specifically an hour after sunset and a half-hour prior to daybreak, you stand a good chance of seeing a buck visiting a scrape. Not surprising, Dasher found visitation rates at scrape sites dropped to near zero percent during the rutting time period

I did take a nice 8 pt after watching him work a scrape. The stand was there well before the scrape was however.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here's a search from Google, plenty to read about here.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

When the rut starts to kick in I hunt where the girls are.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am not much of a scrape hunter as I believe they are visited more during darkness making them counterproductive to sit and wait upon. I do however use the scrapes as an indicator that will lead me to a better spot in which to set up on. I will follow scrapes, rubs, trails,etc back to where the buck calls home and then set up based on his routes to and from his bedroom. Mature deer like to feel safe and when you find those areas where he feels all safe and secure you've just found yourself a spot to hang out in! My advice is to backtrack off those scrapes and lurk in the transition areas or shadows that lead to the scrapes, rubs, feeding, watering and doe activity. ANy sign is great sign, so don't stop looking and use them as ways to find a spot that will pay off vs may pay off.

Best of Luck!
Old 03-05-2004, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

In scrapes do not go by quantity but by size, little bucks make lots of scrapes.. If the maker leaves his mark in it , overhanging branch mangled over it you can judge pretty much what is making it. I shot 2 bucks this year same stand a day apart checking the same scrape at almost same time 7:30am in the morning. The second buck was substantially larger then the first but was not the creator of the scrape since the footprint in it was larger then his hoofs. I guess he was an interloper like the first buck. So the biggie must be still at large. Last year I had a really good buck surprise me at 11am when I was getting out of my stand..his scrape was about 75 yards from a doe bedding area. They may check out scrapes at night before the rut but once that kicks in they are going any time of the day. Make sure your in correct position in relation to the wind and get in your stand as early as possible and stay as long as possible and don't move. If does are legal game in your area wait until the last day to pop one you don't want the bait dying.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:29 PM

anyone got more tips?>
Old 03-08-2004, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

The main thing is always, watch the wind directions and don't hunt directly over the scrape line.
If you are on a trail or in an area that has multiple scrapes, you will usually be pretty close to his bedroom, and the area will be definitly worth hunting during the rut!
Look for funnels in these areas, and travel directions, that will aid you in picking out a good setup, and as I said, since you are in, or near his bedroom, watch the winds and also be as scent free as possible.
Doe Estrus lures and also buck scents, such as tarsal glands work well in these areas!
A dominant buck will be furious, if he gets the smell of another buck in his area.
If you want, when you leave the area, get a stick and carefully, (do not step in the scrape or leave your own scent there) rake leaves into the scrape and pour a little doe or buck lure into the scrape. That may get him to check it more often, or at least it may help to tell you when he is comming by.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:50 PM

Don't hunt scrapes, hunt Bedding, Feeding, and Watering areas.

Just my two cents worth.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:04 AM

what about mock scrapes?
Old 03-09-2004, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

I enjoy making mock scrapes to fool the bucks. I don't think it helps that much, but I enjoyed fooling the buck. Last year I made a scrape about 20 feet away from an existing scrape. The buck abandoned his scrape and visited mine, but in the night.

Quick Reply: Scrape Hunting Tips?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.