Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tribune to fallen hunters

Old 03-03-2004, 06:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Tribune to fallen hunters

I was going through some old pictures of my dad and grandpa and found several hunting pictures so i decided to post a tribune to not only the fallen hunters i have known but also to everyone who has. I am looking up some websites so hopefully i'll have that soon. Until then anybody who has lost an special hunter(s) in their lifes, please reply and tell us about that person. thank you for all replies in advance

My dad: Gary L Knox: Law enforcment officer for 34 years and an hunter for almost 45
My Grandpa: Paul D. Knox: WWII veteran: Carpentry for 50+ years, not sure how long hunted but long time
Old 03-04-2004, 02:06 AM

Default RE: Tribune to fallen hunters

I copy and pasted this but,, this was a huge amount of outdoor knowledge lost in my community a few weeks ago. They had just finished up a pheasant hunt and never made it back home to theyre loved ones!

KINGSVILLE -- The 10 people killed in a plane crash near here two weeks ago are finally coming home. Search and recovery divers aboard the CCGS Samuel Risley pulled the wreckage of doomed Georgian Express Flight 126 out of Lake Erie's frigid water Thursday evening and with it recovered the bodies of all 10 people killed when the Cessna plane crashed shortly after takeoff from Pelee Island around 4:30 p.m. Jan. 17, police said.

"Members of the (search) team have successfully recovered the bodies of the loved ones and two family dogs," OPP Sgt. Doug Babbitt said at a news conference here yesterday. "They are being brought to an undisclosed location. We're trying to treat the families with the same dignity we have all along."

The plane, with the bodies inside, was to be transported to Windsor last night, where the bodies were to be removed under the direction of coroner Dr. Tom Wilson.

A crane aboard the Risley, a Canadian Coast Guard icebreaker, pulled the wreckage -- which held all 10 bodies and both dogs -- from the water.

Earlier this week, the plane was dragged closer to the ship.

A massive hole was then cut in the ice through which the fuselage was raised, ending an underwater search that began slowly and was often stalled because of ice and other weather troubles.

The plan is to reunite the families with their loved ones as quickly as possible, but as of yesterday no definite timeline was set.

Though news of the recovery has helped grieving families in the healing process, the brother of Bob Brisco, one of the 10 people killed, says it also poses new, difficult questions.

"The last 24 hours the members of the family have been asking themselves if they want to view the remains," Tim Brisco of Chatham said, adding he doesn't know when the bodies will be turned over to relatives.

"That is still up in the air. There's still a waiting game," Brisco said.

The biggest relief, he added, came Wednesday when investigators told relatives those aboard Flight 126 didn't suffer after the crash.

"The big thing is the evidence indicated that they did not suffer," Brisco said. "That was a big relief."

Cheryl Janik, whose husband Larry was on the fatal flight, expressed her thanks in a news release to everyone involved in the search.

"Our wait for our loved ones is coming to an end," she said. "On behalf of all family and friends of Flight 126, we would like to express great appreciation to the many new friends we have made during our difficult time."

Except for pilot Wayne Price, a Richmond Hill resident, all nine men aboard the plane were from Chatham-Kent or Essex County. The lone woman killed, 28-year-old Jamie Levine, is from Los Angeles and her parents and brother have been in Kingsville for a week waiting for the recovery.

The complicated process of taking her body back to the U.S. has already started, OPP Insp. Chris Sharpe said.

"We've been in touch constantly with the U.S. embassy and they will be helping them through that."

This tragedy, which devastated families and rattled several communities, also took its toll on investigators involved in the search.

Babbitt didn't once refer to "bodies" yesterday, instead calling them "loved ones" and told reporters he's honoured to have been involved in the recovery process.

"There's certainly is no happiness because the event itself was so tragic. It's just been an honour to be a part of it and try to provide some comfort to the families."

Those aboard the Risley held a tribute yesterday to those killed. The ship's bell tolled once for each victim and 10 wreaths were thrown onto the crash site. Divers also took an iron cross and plaque to the lake's bottom yesterday, Sharpe said.

"It will be there as long as nature will allow it to be," he said. "The families have been very, very thankful for everyone's efforts and I would personally like to commend each and every one of them."

Yesterday marked the end of police involvement in the tragedy. It is now in the hands of the National Transportation Safety Board, which will bring the wreckage to Ottawa and determine what caused the plane to crash minutes after takeoff.

In addition to Brisco, Levine and Price, the other victims were Dr. Jim Allen, Tom Reeve and Ted Reeve of Chatham; Fred Freitas and Larry Janik of Kingsville; and Ronald Spencler and Walter Sadowski of Windsor.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Tribune to fallen hunters

I had a friend. Alv D Sims. He nunted something about 360 days a year. He lived only to hunt. He started scouting for game on the day after the season closed getting ready for the next season. He was younger than me by a few years and always joked that he would be around several seasons after I was gone. Well cancer took him about eight years ago while still a pretty young man. I can't meet a new season without thoughts of him and a saddness that come from loosing a real friend and fellow hunter. There are many realtives now gone who were avid hunters but for the most part the had long and good lives in the hunting fields and were not taken much to soon as my other friend was.