Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Finding Deer Antlers

Old 02-13-2002, 04:20 PM

Default Finding Deer Antlers

Hey in the past year or so I have been interested in finding deer antlers in the off season. I do not have a ton of time to go out and search the woods. This is where ya'll come in. I was wondering if anyone knows about any "Antler Traps" that I can make and put out. I am trying to make something that when the deer trys to eat some corn or something, his antlers get caught in wire and knocked off. If anyone knows any ideas would yo please post it. I will be checking this board a lot to see if anyone has answered.
Thanks,
Jack
Old 02-13-2002, 04:55 PM

Default RE: Finding Deer Antlers

best bet is just go out and look putting some kind of wire up might be illegal if not dangerous to the deer or other animals
Old 02-13-2002, 05:09 PM

I gotta agree with PaBuckhunter on this one.Trying to snare antlers could be a real mess if you happen to catch a pair that ain't ready to drop.As far as whether it's legal or not..I have no idea.ethically though it don't sound too good.
I've had a tough time finding sheds in my area too.Terrain is thicker than hair on a cats back.I found one good set in the last four years,but I still look.
Try looking along fence-lines,creek crossings,washes,ditches or any other obstacles that might cause the deer to jump over them.If all else fails...bedding areas are a good bet too.Good luck!
whackman
Old 02-13-2002, 05:15 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-13-2002, 07:32 PM

Hey what time of the year do the deer start to shed their antlers? Because you said that they have already started. We live in Georgia and I think that in Georgia they shed late because last year I found a set of sheds that had been dropped around the 27th of February. Do they drop earlier in the north?
Old 02-13-2002, 09:30 PM

I was out a couple days ago and antlers were still on in my area.
Old 02-14-2002, 09:40 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-14-2002, 09:41 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-14-2002, 09:42 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-14-2002, 01:45 PM

Hey thanks for the tips on where to find deer antlers. We some rows of pines on our place in which are about 20-30 feet wide. the pines are about 15 feet tall but are thick. Would you think that would be a good place to look because of all the limbs? Also why do the deer drop their horns near Golf Courses?
thanks for the tips,
Jack

Quick Reply: Finding Deer Antlers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.