Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

problem deer

Old 03-01-2004, 08:56 PM

Default problem deer

is there something i can use to keep the deer away from shrubs small trees new grass --- is there a spray i can spray around the yard --- is there such a thing as wolf scent or big cat scent or something --- please let me no if theres something i can use besides putting wire around everything
Old 03-01-2004, 09:29 PM
jjt

Default RE: problem deer

let the poor starven things eat
you eat them be nice give back a little

i had problems with them eating my apple tree in the front yard. I enjoyed watching them but spent good money on that tree. then i found a new way to look at it

if i didnt want them to eat my trees i should not have planted them in the first place. I eat them(deer) they in turn can eat my trees i also leave all of the apple on the ground in the fall just to give them sum more food( I dont pile them up or nothin they still have to dig thru the snow for them)

just my $.02
Old 03-01-2004, 11:44 PM

Here we get a product called blood meal off of the Conservation Officers. Blood meal is a powder that is spread around the area and is suppose to to keep the animals away. We have used this with mixed results sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I don't have a problem with letting the odd deer eat but i should show you pics of what 25 deer or better yet 80 some elk can do to a hay stack over night. Its one big mess and headache......
Old 03-02-2004, 06:17 AM

You could go to your lobal barber shop and get some human hair off the floor. You can cut it up or use as is and sprinkle it on the ground or you could use some pantyhose and place the hair into it and hang it near where you don't want them to go. Deer will smell the human scent and not like it. Try it, what have to got to loose but some hair?

T
Old 03-02-2004, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I saw a guy on a show once who mixed soap, water and hot sauce together and put it in a spray bottle. He used it to spray his yard plants and shrubs. According to him it left a soapy film that did not harm the plants but due to the hot sauce burned the mouth of deer and rabbits that tried to eat them. I imagine the soap flavor isn't too good either. I have never tried it so I can't verify that it works.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wal Mart or your local farmers co-op should have a spray that you can use. I don't know how effective it is.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:44 PM

good old blood from a meat shop, or bones, but you might want to clean it up come spring
Old 03-02-2004, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

This may be a "little different" but I know of a friend in Maine who swears by it..He uses dirty socks (as in very dirty socks), and hangs them near his garden. He can hide most of them so that no one is aware they are there. He leaves them there for 3-4 days or until rain "washes" them, then it's done all over again. Kinda like recycling dirty sox....when they get dirty, put them out to keep the deer away and wear the clean ones... Of course our favorite sox here in New England are Red Sox...Another thing to try...Beg, borrow , steal or buy a dog....I have not had many deer in the back yard since I got a new dog last Spring (yes, it's a Springer). I know the deer are still back there by their sign but the damage to the property had been almost nill....Good Luck on this one......Jimmy
Old 03-02-2004, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

I use Irish Spring soap along the fence line. I also use 'Deer Blocker' spray from my local Co-Op.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:08 PM

human hair

Quick Reply: problem deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.