Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

low, medium, or high rings??

Old 02-11-2004, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default low, medium, or high rings??

I just bought a VX-II 3-9x40 for my T/C Omega. I have never owned a scope before and was wondering what size rings I should get and what are the advantages of each. Any thouhgts and/or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

By the way I bought the scope for $218 at the Spartsman show in Harrisburg PA. A steal for this scope in silver finish I thought.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: low, medium, or high rings??

Mount is as low as you can, you might be able to get by with the low rings but i have a feeling medium is what you might end up with. it has more to do with clearance of the scope near the rear sights when you mount it. probably best to take it to a gun shop and get their opinion on it. the reason i say keep it low is because the higher you go, the more you are going to have to raise your cheek off the stock to see through the scope. i purchased a cheek rest from cabelas for my stock, that solved the problem.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I would go with the higher mounts or shoot through mounts. There have been numerous times when I have been hunting only to have the deer run 20 yards right in front of me. There is no way to find a running deer that close in a scope but with shoot through mounts I could have looked under the scope and made an easy kill.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

As close to the barrel as feasible is always the best option with rings. The Leupold website does not list the Omega but on a Black Diamond they suggest low for the VXII 3x9x40. I would take the gun to a shop in your area and find if lows or med will work best.

IMO/E you are better to forget see-thru's they are weak and suspect to POI shifts. Yes bearklr, I have used them so am not just preaching about what I do not know
Old 02-11-2004, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just mounted a 2-7x33 Leupold on my Omega and I used medium Weaver rings. The main reason was I had an extra set laying around, so I mounted them and they work great. You can probably get by with low but you may have to remove the rear sight, especially if you use flip open scope caps. I agree to stay away from see through mounts. I used to use them and prefer the regular mounts much better. None of the gunsmiths I know like see through mounts.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I understand what you are saying about the lower rings, I use them on all of my rifles. I just like the shoot throughs on my shotguns and muzzleloaders for the advantage of a quick shot if I was stalking.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the help. I have decided to go with the medium rings.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

as low as possible.........i had 2 excelent shooters that won many awards and been shooting all their lives tell me to keep my scope as low as possible for the best accuracy......keeps your head planted down on the stock and that means a better shot......and the higher the rings the easier it is to bump the scope and move it ect.....thats why if you post about see thrus many people will tell you not to use them........i killed a deer running full speed at 20 yards in a thicket with a 3x9x40......it was like having a crosshair on the deer as it was running......when it got into a clear spot i let one fly......piled up in the air and fell down.........i had it on 3 or 4x like i always do being my shots are typically 30 yards or so........ive never had a scope hinder me what so ever........but i got a 40mm lense......that makes it nice and on low power its not like your looking through a scope......good luck with whatever you choose
Old 02-11-2004, 08:25 PM

i like a ring i can still get a quick shout off for the close one .aka high ring or med
Old 02-12-2004, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

Lowest ring that will work. Also, I'm a firm believer in spending the extra money on the stronger steel rings and bases... stay away from aluminum.

Quick Reply: low, medium, or high rings??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.