Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 If a deer attacks you what do you do?? >

If a deer attacks you what do you do??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

If a deer attacks you what do you do??

Old 03-16-2004, 08:59 AM

Default RE: If a deer attacks you what do you do??

My Dad had two instances were a deer charged him. One was when he shot a deer and the deer just turned and ran right at him. My dad was squatting down when he shot and lost his balance and fell back. He saw the deer coming at him and shot him again the deer landed at his feet. I think that deer just happened to run his direction by chance.

The second time he shot a buck and when he got to the deer checking it out he heard something behind him. It was another buck charging him. He shot that one also. There was a fresh scape right next to were he was. Probably two bucks fighting over the same ground.

I have a article where and older man and woman were attacked by an eight point buck. The man was killed by the buck and the buck stood over the man and had to be shot by the sheriffs deputy, because the buck would not leave. The deer stood over the man for about 30 minutes!

The was another guy that was attacked by a buck a couple of years ago here in east Texas. He wasn't hurt bad but scared the mess out of the guy.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

There was an older Gentleman attacked and kill at a dumpster on side a public road near Milledgeville, Ga (I believe the City is correct) a few years ago. The DNR had to shoot the 8 pointer before they could get to the mans' body. So yes, it does happen.

dog1
Old 03-16-2004, 09:27 AM

ATTACK IT BACK!!!!! Stand your ground and fight to the death. Just hope it will be the deers death. Now a moose on the other hand if they attack, my advice would be to TUCK TAIL AND RUN!!!!! out of the area as fast as you can.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:38 PM

People who visit Yellowstone + Bison who are peacefully eating grass = a confrontation of which makes for 1 - 5 injuries a year (most assuredly human). Usually its the French. For some strange reason the French are the ones who get killed. They walk up to the peaceful grass eating Bison and attempt to change its diet by popping it on the head with a baguette (thats bread fer us feriners). The Bison (a native wyomingite) promply tells the frisque frenchman "We don't give a S#*t what you eat in Fraaance! and proceeds to make Patte dust of zee poor frenchman
Old 03-21-2004, 04:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Dirt2

Good stories vt buck, your deer story sounds like one that happened to my brother. He was loading a "dead" deer into the trunk of his car when it woke up. My brother was astraddle the deer with only his knife to hand. They had a real nice rodeo before he finally got its throat cut.
you mean he didnt field dress it right when he found it???(after tracking it)
So let me get this straight he dragged it to his car and put it in his trunk before field dressing it??? because you usually get rid of 40- 50 pound of weight for dragging it..
Old 03-22-2004, 03:34 PM

A few years ago we went spotting deer. My brother put the spotlight on a buck close to the road while my other brother thought he would see how far he could get to the deer by walking up to it. Since the deer was blinded but the bright light in its eyes my brother got pretty close to the buck and my other brother started laughing and moved the light out of the deers eyes long enough for the deer to see my brother. All I saw my my brother running for his life and jumping in a ditch. The deer spooked when he saw how close he was and charged him. I will never forget that night and needless to say my brother had to change his underwear when we got home..lol
Old 03-23-2004, 12:03 PM

wow this is so funny

The first deer i killed i shot at about 30 yds and i hit in the back it dropped and being me first deer i did not shoot again i was shocked i hit it. I waited until my dad showed up and we approched the deer it had been moving alot when i got to the deer it was doing circles i was trying to get a shot at it and it was not happy with me it was like hissing and trying to hit me in the ankles with it antlers and i finaly got a shot at its hart and put it down.

that is one way to learn that deer are still wild animals and can hurt you.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:50 AM

last fall i had an encounter with an over aggresive buck, i was doing a little scouting the week before bow season, i had just came over the top of a hill in the pasture field and walked right up on a buck id been watching all summer, and had even gotten video footage of him from ten yards. i immediately dropped to the ground but he had already seen me. I figured that was the last id see of him but instead of running he started walking towards me, and i thought this was awesome so i just set there on my knees watching him and waiting for him to bolt any minute like he had before but he closed the distance to about ten yards and stopped, he turned sideways and layed his ears back and thats when i knew what was happening, i was in his territory and he wasnt having it. I didnt really know what to do i was in the wide open with no trees and all i had was a small pocketknife, i opened it up just in case worse came to worse, THEN i stood up so he could see i was human and waved my arms and yelled at him, he just kept coming in, i then slowly started backing up to gain a little distance so i could get to the edge of the woods, when i was abotu twenty feet from the fence he charged me but stopped about 6 feet away, fight or flight kicked in and i turned and busted it for the woods, hurdled a barb wire fence caught my pants on it and slammed down to the other side, he was abotu 15 feet away watching me, i un tangled my pants form the fence and walked away, oh yeah i killed it the second day of bow season heres a pic
Old 03-25-2004, 07:36 PM

try this if yo haven't seen them yet

http://www.nps.gov/yell/safetyvideos.htm

While hunting in Maine during Muzzleloader season a few years ago ,my brother shot a nice Buck , was suprised when it did not act like it was hit and then ran off. He reloaded and went to where it was and found a little Blood and hair. trailed it for a little bit and kept finding more blood ,so he figured he would just sit and wait a bit then go collect his deer, after about an hour wait he trailed about a 1/4 mile to find it laying down with its head up looking alert . Not having a good shot form where he was he decided to get closer whenever the deer looked the other way . After a bit ,he blocked the deers veiw of where he was sneaking with a large tree , but also blocked any shot he might have .
finally after getting about 25 yards from the Deer he stepped out to get his shot ,now the deer was closer to the tree than he was and he has no where to hide , but was not thinking he needed one anyway , after putting another 250 grain , 50 Cal bullet in it , it leaps up and starts off away but only took afew steps before turning and heading straight for him , only had time to smack it with the barrel of the gun and step to the side as it went past . Then it just up and died as it was in the midst of turning for another run. He said it wasn't scary until after it had died as he had no time to think about it.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:58 PM

oops lol wrong thing