Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

build or buy a treestand

Old 02-10-2004, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default build or buy a treestand

Have you guys found is it cheaper to build or buy a stand. The last one I built cost around $70.00 this stand is there for life it took two of us to carry it into the woods.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: build or buy a treestand

I guess it depends on what kind of stand is being built. I have numerous hang- on stands well under the $100 range that will be up as long as the tree is standing. When it comes to building a stand, I can't see saving any money if it's done right. I'm going to build a platform stand this year that will hold at least two people. This stand is going to be 4' x 8'. That'll cost way more than a hang-on, and probably more than a decent two-man ladder stand. A few years ago I had the bright idea to build a deer cart. I didn't like what was on the market because they were too wide for my application. I spent well over $200 on this thing, and it didn't even work as well I hoped it would.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

I build alot of my stands but I get alot of my material for nothing they throw alot of good things away at work i,ve taken some ideas from bought stands & they,ve come around to some of my ideas but it coast more to build them yourself if your buying all your materials
Old 02-10-2004, 08:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

You can buy a good, well built, safer welded aluminum ladder stand for about $125. They will last longer and are easier to move in the woods.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you can save money by building your own then go for it ,Too many stand's go missing during the season to be putting out hard earned cash.Just try using some lighter materials if you can.

nubo
Old 02-11-2004, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

we have built our own and they are fancier than most. 8 foot ladder with 3x4' platform (all treated) ran us ~$100 with all new materials. we have 7 out in the woods and most were built with used lumber and were considerably less. they work very well and give you a lot of room and are stronger (and heavier) than the dickens
Old 02-12-2004, 08:12 AM

I have 4 houses on 4X4 supports, and about 6 wood tree stands. Most of the material was salvaged, but the 4X4's were purchased new, treated. As I am retired I have plenty of time to constantly check, repair, replace faulty parts. And there is one thing that is required, they must be maintained constantly or suffer the consequences. Besides repair, it is a battle keeping wasps, hornets, etc. out of them. Even had a bee hive in a storage box in one house. My brother-in-law helped me with it, he is a bee keeper. Squirrels love to get in them and they will shred anything chewable. The ladder stands are heavy (treated 2X4's) but can be dropped in 10 minutes and moved and put back up in 30 min. No way could I have purchased this amount of stands ready made.

Russ
Old 02-12-2004, 12:48 PM

here are some of the stands i have built . They are 20 foot off the ground and have a 4x4 deck with a office chair bolted to the deck. I believe if you are going to wait them out you need to be comfortable[8D]

here is another one

i also have a 10 foot stand that i really like. When they walk by this one you can jump on their backs if you feel like it
Old 02-12-2004, 12:50 PM

sorry about the red x they were just there[:@]
Old 02-12-2004, 03:53 PM

Eric,
That timber looks like mine. But I haven't seen any of those bucks in it like the pictures. So I guess it isn't mine, just similiar. But I'm gonna start looking harder.

Russ

Quick Reply: build or buy a treestand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.