Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer call

Old 02-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default deer call

what is youer fav call i need some calls what kind is ez to use
Old 02-04-2004, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: deer call

Tru-Talker, made by HS. You can easily make fawn on up to mature buck sounds with a minimal amount of effort.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

I use M.A.D. Calls Twist-Tone with Snort Wheeze. It's easy to use and sounds great.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

True Talker,but read and follow the instructions.Better yet get the video.I've seen it work to many times,but follow the instructions.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Aways Bow grunter plus for me,love it![8D]
Old 02-06-2004, 02:14 PM

the tru-talker
Old 02-06-2004, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

If your looking for an all in one type call the True talker is poobably one of the easiest.

If your looking for a grunt tube only then a number will work and are pretty easy to make a normal grunt sound. Of course if you want a doe bleat "the can" is pretty easy.

Personally I use only a buck grunt call, the rest of the sounds I duplicate by mouth.

A tape or video is a good idea as well, as it will allow you to hear different sounds and there meaning.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

I am a true believer that buying any deer grunt call is a waste of money. With about two hours of practice you can reproduce any grunt call in the woods with your throat. Saves money and it's one less gadget to hang off your person. I don't overuse a grunt call, but have nonetheless grunted in two bucks in three years, and stopped innumerable deer for shots after they'd already spooked.

On a related note, how many different "deer vocalizations" have Drury and company invented by now? How many of these different calls have you actually heard in the woods? How much of the supposed variations in calls do you think are actually intended by the deer, and not simply different habits or tones of voice? I'd really like to know how you all answer these questions, not for sake of an argument, but to really learn something from real hunters who aren't out there to sell the latest miracle call for $19.95.

Personally, I've heard exactly one deer grunt in my life, and that was doe grunting softly to its fawn. What I've seen in videos really makes me suspect a grunt is a grunt, but different deer have different voices (like humans) so the sound varies.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dirt, I can tell you I have heard a lot of different calls in the woods (doe bleats, grunts, bawls, fawn bawls, buck grunts, snorts and wheezes) The only deer calls I make are doe bleats, fawn bawls on rare occasions, social(contact) grunts and tending grunts. There is no such thing as a estrus bleat or doe in heat bleat persay (these are simply doe bleats) and I have never heard a challenge grunt in my life while in the woods(not saying they aren't real just haven't heard one). Deer rely on other sense to communicate but do you use their voice box, the difference between using a call to your advantage and the deers advantage are very fine. Over calling, wrong sounds or response, poor setup to begin with are all to common mistakes hunters make and then blame the call for screwing up the hunt. A call should be viewed as a last resort in my mind, not the primary tactic in your bag of tricks. As such I use it as a turn/stopping tool vs a location tool(visual on a deer I want to harvest)...deer are curious and will come but all to often they will come in the backdoor and leave without you even knowing they were there. Only time I blind call is if I am set up and make a noise I think affects my spot or when rattling...the rest of the time I just sit and listen. I make a lot of sounds by mouth but I also believe in a grunt tube as well for tone variation and ease of use.

It certainly isn't magic I agree but it can and will buy you a shot if used properly in the right situation. Videos are used to sell products and I certainly hope we all know editing is involved and take the marketing efforts with a grain of salt when deciding if that particular product is worth buying for our hunting needs.

Any way that is just one 'Real Hunters" point of view, take it for what ever it is worth
Old 02-06-2004, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks skeeter, I don't have all the answers by any stretch.

Quick Reply: deer call

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.