Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cover scent

Old 02-01-2004, 01:52 PM

Default Cover scent

Which cover scent works the best. I have a choice of acorn, dirt, or scentless. Thanks
Old 02-01-2004, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cover scent

i try to go scent free as possible, if i use any , it's racoon pee.....the natural stuff , like cow nuggets , even better hog nuggets work great too....
Old 02-02-2004, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

My two cover scents are the fresh earth scent wafers and when I hunt near pine thickets I put a dab of pure gum turpentine on the bottom of my pant legs. Both seem to work well.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Knight and Hale has a scent free spray with earth scent.Worked great for me.If I'm in a tree I use coon scent,on the ground doe pee.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I try not to have any scent to me at all. I use scent killer and thats about all I spray on myself. Sometimes I'll put my clothes wrapped over a piece of pine tree in a plastic sack out in the garage for a while....that seems to work pretty good.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:36 PM

Personally, I prefer the scent-free sprays. The acorn and fresh earth scent sprays probably don't smell as natural to a deer as they do to us. It depends on your hunting environment too. For instance, if you're hunting a bog or a swamp, the fresh earth scent might blend in more than it would in Texas. Likewise, the acorn scent should blend in more in the mountains than it would in the middle of prarie country.
The most important thing to remember is that deer don't like human scent.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:48 PM

acorn serves as a scent killer ans a atracting scent deer love acorns
Old 02-03-2004, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also try to just be as scent free as possible. Scent killer is about it. If you take a scent free shower before hand and put your camo on just prior to the field its all you should need. I also use a scent free towel to wipe down my equipment also. I do store my camo in a plastic tub full of dried leaves. Then shake them and put them on. Works well for me. I often have deer right under me. Never know I am even there.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started using Scent Shield products years ago and they have worked well for me.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:23 AM

My areas have an abundance of coons. Frequently I go afield with a dab of coon pee on each boot sole and one drop on the uppers.

Quick Reply: Cover scent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.